Remember Birley School?

Threads merged.

yeah i remember mr latham, i was in his maths class, i was shocked when i heard he'd died, also mr jones, i didnt like him much but was equally as shocked when heard about him also

Hi Jillibabes

did you here about the affair with mr powers and one of the History teachers (can't remember which one), then apparently mr powers dissapeared. someone told me he commited suicide - hope this isn't true cos he was a good laugh.

I'm new to the forum and have just found this posting. I went to Birley (it was Thornbridge then) and left years ago in 1964. Mr Snook was head teacher and I think it was Mr Latham who was my form teacher. He was a nice chap and I just read that he died, thats sad. There was a geography teacher called Miss Cox, anyone remember her and a Doc somebody, can't remember his name. I heard that they got married.

My 3 children all went to Thornbridge or Birley as it changed its name to. They were all there in the 80s,so we all have some good memories of the place.

any 1 here remember me?

I went to Birley infants, juniors and secondary, I started in the 50`s a long time ago.

anybody remember Miss campion from Birley infants

Originally posted by tots

Hi Jillibabes

did you here about the affair with mr powers and one of the History teachers (can't remember which one), then apparently mr powers dissapeared. someone told me he commited suicide - hope this isn't true cos he was a good laugh.

I remember Mr Powers, he was there when I was in Y7 and yeah, he did mysteriously disappear! Didn't hear about the affair or suicide though...

I was there 97-02.

i heard he had an affair with one of the science teachers. then he did dissappear. there was loads of rumours about different things

Originally posted by gemma86

I remember Mr Powers, he was there when I was in Y7 and yeah, he did mysteriously disappear! Didn't hear about the affair or suicide though...

I was there 97-02.

Wonder if that was the same mr powers that was teaching when i was there? early eighties,

he started off as a pe teacher,then became a geography teacher,curly hair,slightly bulging eyes!

Yeah, its the same one. He looked like that and taught PE and geography, but when I was there he also taught IT...

He stayed there a while then,i left in 82,and if i remember he started as a pe teacher after i'd been there about a year,late 70's?