Sheffield Wednesday Schools' Shield 1895

My son's school has just won the Sheffield Schools' Year 8 League Cup beating King Ecgbert School 2 1 in the final at Abbeydale School. The trophy they have won is the Sheffield Wednesday Shield which dates back to 1895 and is engraved for that period of time. It is a fantastic shield plotting the history of Education in Sheffield. I just wondered if anyone has any old team pictures or stories of this competition. Or whether any Wednesdayites know anything about it? I know the school has displays at school on their notice board and I am sure they would like a bit of history to go with it. Did anyone on the forum win it?

cheers

You need to find a history of the Sheffield Schools Sports Federation. That will tell you about the various trophies, including ther United Shield, the Wednesday Shield, etc. The Federation had a big anniversary a few years ago, and they updated a souvenir history from many years earlier.

A lot of old Sheffield schools won lots of the various sports trophies over the years, but, then, sport was a really big thing in school in the 1920s through to the late 1960s, but it is not the same now.

Newhall, for instance, was a great football school in the 1920s (they had a legendary schoolboy international called Harry Gooney), and in the 1940s schools like Meynall Road produced lads like Albert Quixall and George Brown, while Burngreave in the 1940s and 1950s produced such as Hugh Swift and Johnny Fantham.

Who now can remember when The Green Un contained a big Schools Sports Section (compiled by the famous Peter Markie) every week --that was as recently as the 1960s, early 70s, and it reflected the enthusiasm for sport among the teachers as well as the pupils.

Played in the Wednesday Shield final in 1960 for Norfolk School against Meynall Road. We lost 2-1 and were devastated.It was a great game played at the 5 Arches on Herries Road. The age group was 14 -15 years old and the game was watched by around 200 people. Glad to hear that the Wednesday Shield is still around.

I will hAVE A LOOK AT THE TROPHY TO SEE IF mEYNALL ARE ON IT. dO YOU HAVE A TEAM PICTURE? wOULD BE GOOD TO GET A PHOTO GALLERY OF WINNING TEAMS OVER THE YEARS

I think my son played for it for Beaver Hill School, not sure if they played Parson Cross it would be about 1980.

The parents started fighting and then the players and the match was abandoned and the schools were banned from playing a return match.

I think it was the final to.

Two or three of the biggest boys were sent back out to recover the school equipment armed with baseball bats as it was a bigger crime if they lost the sports stuff as well.

For some reason I thought there was a Wilkinson Shield too given by Mr Wilkinson Head of Brunswick School.

Hazel

Harry Gooney was a relation of mine.

Harry Gooney was, of course, a legend in schools football in the mid-1920s, and when I was at Newhall in the 1940s the headmaster Jerry Bronks never stopped talking about him. So, many years later when I met up with Harry, I was delighted to have the chance to talk to him. He was as glad to meet me as I was to meet him! A great guy. I did a piece about him in a book called Sheffield's East Enders (sadly, long out of print, but shoukld be available at the library), and I am fairly sure he is mentioned in Sheffield Football: A History Volume 1, published by the Hallamshire Press. There were also one or two good write-ups in the Sheffield Morning Telegraph in the early 1970s, but I don't have any exact dates.

HI

Coleridge Rd school won it in 1958 i have a photo of the team with the Shield Len Badger was in the team too he was fullback i was halfback

I played in semi final of wednesday shield for broke school in 1961/62

we played hurfield at ball in ground then shef uniteds training ground

we lost 2-1 or 3/2 carnt rember properly

My son's school has just won the Sheffield Schools' Year 8 League Cup beating King Ecgbert School 2 1 in the final at Abbeydale School. The trophy they have won is the Sheffield Wednesday Shield which dates back to 1895 and is engraved for that period of time. It is a fantastic shield plotting the history of Education in Sheffield. I just wondered if anyone has any old team pictures or stories of this competition. Or whether any Wednesdayites know anything about it? I know the school has displays at school on their notice board and I am sure they would like a bit of history to go with it. Did anyone on the forum win it?

cheers

I have a photo of my Dad,(William Henry (Willy) Beckett) about 1920, wearing his football kit and a medal which I believe he won on Wednesday's ground, playing for Owler Lane. I'll post it when I learn how. I can also post a photo of Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Cricket Club when they played on Cook's farm at the top of Wincobank Lane. I was the scorer for a few years.

Our School Rollestone won the shield in 1967. At the time it was for a 6 a side competition for all Sheffield. The early rounds were played at various venues across Sheffield, with the finals being played at Shirecliffe School.

It was for Junior Schools so we were either aged 10 or 11. We beat Intake in the final 2 - 0. I scored both goals. In the previous rounds at Shirecliffe we had drew all our games, but went through on the number of corners we had won.

In our team of six, we had 4 players who represented Sheffield that year, I being one of them. Intake had 2 players who represented Sheffield that year.

The Sheffield Wednesday Shield was presented by Jack Marshall who was assistant manager for Wednesday at that time.

Incidently all 6 players who won the trophy were United supporters.