British Gas Home Care packages

I've no complaints about British Gas ( assume I'm in the minority there! ) as we've had our central heating system, boiler etc covered for many years. On several occasions when we have needed to call them out the company has always delivered and rectified the problem. However what I am unhappy about is the escalating cost in renewal premiums. I'm therefore wondering if any of you have a similar type of cover with another company that doesn't charge as much? Just as importantly, are/were they reliable in you hour of need? Please, please don't inundate me with all the bad things that you may have to say about British Gas because, as I've said already, we have never had any problems at all. Many thanks to anyone who takes the trouble to reply.

Hey PM me (i dont wanna say this but..) my mum is one of the managers for the homecare services for british gas and ill ask her to get you a better rate if its too high

Just out of interest how much does this cost? Is it really worth it? We have our boiler serviced every year and it costs £50. The company we use offer a 24 hour emergency line if you need them. Touch wood we havent had to use this yet so costs to cover our boiler have been running at £50 per year. Surely this is much less than using British Gas to cover you.

Hi.

British gas are very expensive. Most local plumbers will look after you at a lower cost for a breakdown than the yearly cost of bg and most years you wont need any repairs.

If your boiler gets old they tell you you need a new one and offer 600 pounds off, usual quote is then 4600. We and many others can offer you a new boiler with a five year guarantee for 1800. Thats a new boiler every five years for the same cost as bg, not of course that you will need one.

Look on the gas safe website they have the details of all the local gas men. It's hard to be a regitered plumber and a cowboy as we are so highly policed.

Best regards, Dave

as above, excellent advise.

if you can find a local reliable engineer i think you would be a lot happier, no one likes to spend money and not see a return on it . :(

I pay £20 a month with British Gas to service my boiler and heating ONCE a year, I am now thinking I am being ripped off!!!!!!!!!

British Gas homecare is just an insurance policy, when i worked for British Gas i worked on a lot of boilers that were getting there monies worth in repairs. However lots of customers dont have a fault for years and pay over £200 per year just for a service.

I would always recommend a good reliable heating engineer over British Gas, but then again i am a good reliable heating engineer.

I pay £20 a month with British Gas to service my boiler and heating ONCE a year, I am now thinking I am being ripped off!!!!!!!!!

i think you will find your getting a safety check not a service. :( all they do is place a probe in the flue and ifthe % Co is less than a certain level the boiler is deemed ok .

a service is a strip down .. a safety check is not . :)

i think you will find your getting a safety check not a service. :( all they do is place a probe in the flue and ifthe % Co is less than a certain level the boiler is deemed ok .

a service is a strip down .. a safety check is not . :)

I am gonna check out my policy and see what I am getting:huh:

And please anyone don't get them to install a new boiler BG cost £4000 most forumplumbers 2 grand