Fire near Abbeydale Rd..

didnt take long to go on bbc website it will be on calendar l8r then

Oh stop your muslim bashing it is so tedious and boring. This thread has nothing to do with Islam or Muslims.

You never know... I presume it was once a Christian church? Any lightning?

That's it. You've made me sad now - reminded me how much I like to see it when I get home from my b*stard commute!

Sorry, wasnt my intention.....:(

I suspect it's much, much more to do with the density of Muslims in the area!

erm... somehow I don't think any Muslims were responsible for the building of that area 150 years ago...

Methodism, and the "free-church" were very strong influences in Sheffield.

Along the Abbeydale Road corridor, from The Crown, the pub which was at the very beginning of Abbeydale road, (which is now apartments) there was not another pub, all the way along the length of Abbeydale Road, until you got to The Broadfield.

The next nearest pubs after that, are about as far on, again, at Millhouses.

Three pubs, in about, what, four miles, in a densely built up area, is a bit of a puzzler, isn't it?

Although, on "pondering" it, the methodism/ temperence link does ring bells..

if we count the two churches that stand side by side opposite the Crown, one which was anglican,(st Barnabas) the other Highfield Trinity, (formerly Brunswick Trinity) Methodist, as we go along abbeydale Rd;-

We've got the former mosque, which was originally a Methodist church,

Then there's the churches at the corner of St Ronan's Road, now "Mother of God" catholic Church... the church bit was originally a methodist church, and I know the "church hall" building adjacent was the URC (United Reformed Church) in the 60's and 70's.

St Peters Anglican Church was peeking off empire road, in a similar position in relation to the Main road, as the Sufi centre was.

We have to go a little further on to the Bottom of Carter Knowle Rd/ Edgedale road, for the next church building, which is, again Methodist.

Further on, at the corner of Abbeydale Rd and Bannerdale Rd, there's another Anglican church, "St Oswald, King and Martyr".

Then at the bottom of Millhouses Lane, I believe there is another Methodist church, that stands back off the main road, just before Millhouses Park.

So, yes, there are quite a few churches along that road, One URC, Three Anglican and five Methodist, compared to three pubs in the same distance.

interesting ratio:- three pubs to nine churches

No worries AndyK68 - I'm a bit of a photographer myself. Thank God we exist - at least we can see what we used to have!

I am posting on jeerumba's log in. I haven't read all the posts on here, but I live on the street and I am so sad that such a beautiful building is lost. Just got home. All the neighbours white and otherwise fear a 'job'. I will miss seeing the Sufi Centre as I turn the corner into South View. And all that it represents.

Samstar

erm... somehow I don't think any Muslims were responsible for the building of that area 150 years ago...

Methodism, and the "free-church" were very strong influences in Sheffield.

Along the Abbeydale Road corridor, from The Crown, the pub which was at the very beginning of Abbeydale road, (which is now apartments) there was not another pub, all the way along the length of Abbeydale Road, until you got to The Broadfield.

The next nearest pubs after that, are about as far on, again, at Millhouses.

Three pubs, in about, what, four miles, in a densely built up area, is a bit of a puzzler, isn't it?

Although, on "pondering" it, the methodism/ temperence link does ring bells..

if we count the two churches that stand side by side opposite the Crown, one which was anglican,(st Barnabas) the other Highfield Trinity, (formerly Brunswick Trinity) Methodist, as we go along abbeydale Rd;-

We've got the former mosque, which was originally a Methodist church,

Then there's the churches at the corner of St Ronan's Road, now "Mother of God" catholic Church... the church bit was originally a methodist church, and I know the "church hall" building adjacent was the URC (United Reformed Church) in the 60's and 70's.

St Peters Anglican Church was peeking off empire road, in a similar position in relation to the Main road, as the Sufi centre was.

We have to go a little further on to the Bottom of Carter Knowle Rd/ Edgedale road, for the next church building, which is, again Methodist.

Further on, at the corner of Abbeydale Rd and Bannerdale Rd, there's another Anglican church, "St Oswald, King and Martyr".

Then at the bottom of Millhouses Lane, I believe there is another Methodist church, that stands back off the main road, just before Millhouses Park.

So, yes, there are quite a few churches along that road, One URC, Three Anglican and five Methodist, compared to three pubs in the same distance.

interesting ratio:- three pubs to nine churches

I live just off Abbeydale Rd and the leasehold on my land prohibits using it for a pub. I believe it's the same for all properties on Abbeydale Rd (until Millhouses) with the exception of the land the Broadfield stands on. I believe that land fetched quite a nice price.

IIRC the pub was the Royal, not the Crown PT.

sorry Ruby, yes, I stand corrected:- It was the Royal, (I should know this, FGS! lol, I lived opposite it, as a child, for donkeys years)

(I think it's the "royalty" conection that flummoxed me for a moment... royal... crown... crown.. royal... etc)

Oh stop your muslim bashing it is so tedious and boring. This thread has nothing to do with Islam or Muslims.
I was not Muslim bashing you fool! I was offering a rational and reasonable explanation for the lack of pubs in the area. How dare you accuse me of religious hatred! What a small-minded and ignorant thing to do!

I live just off Abbeydale Rd and the leasehold on my land prohibits using it for a pub. I believe it's the same for all properties on Abbeydale Rd (until Millhouses)

That is my understanding, too, Gneighbour.

...with the exception of the land the Broadfield stands on. I believe that land fetched quite a nice price.

I'll bet it did! :shocked: