Fire near Abbeydale Rd..

The end of a lovely building. The roofers buggered up and caused the fire but anybody living in the area had been expecting it for a good few years. Every year there an application to turn it into luxury flats for luxury people and each time it got turned down. It had been a mosque for the last few years and the people involved tried their hardist to keep it as it was.

There is no chance of it being rebuilt and one of the most wonderful buildings in Sheffield (for me) has gone. There's not that many red brick churches anyway and not one looking like that.

Does anyone have any pix of it as it was? It must have been a good example if it was listed. Another sad loss to the local streetscape :(

It's not looking good. Got chatting to a nice lady who's obviously been living on this street for quite a few years. She said that it used to be a Methodist church, then something else (I've forgotten what she said), then Sufi centre, and there have been some petitions in the last 15 years to make sure it stayed as it was.

There are still two hoses on it from my side - probably one or two more from the other. I'm finding it pretty upsetting. We always felt lucky living near it - neither of us are religious, but you could see the turret from our front window, and it just had a good feeling about it. A bit meditational if you know what I mean.

More meditational than the block of flats we now fear anyway...

Tonight has also reminded me how great it is to live in the hilly city. My mate in Heeley rang me to check I was okay cos he used to live on this road and had seen the flames. I work in Manchester every day, and the flatness of that city would make such a phone call very unlikely!

Makes you wonder yust how religious the folks of Abbeydale Road area used to be with all the churches that there are, or rather were, dotted around.

The one on the main Abbeydale Road "Mother of God Parish Centre?", the one burnt down, the one demolished on Machon Bank/Empire Road

all within a couple of minutes walk of each other

It was a Christian Science reading room after the methodists decided to bugger off.

Is this the one? Pre fire of course.

http://citysnapper.org/dm/sheff2000/04/picdm315.jpg

yes that was the one... it doesnt look much like that now I can tell you. We live just behind the houses opposite and went out to see what the smoke was when it first started. I was filming as the flames broke through the smoke. Am trying to upload the footage somwhere now and will post a link when I suceed.

There is an empty church near South View Road but this is on Sharrow Lane , is it this one ?:huh:

There were two methodist churches, exmrbd, one at either end of South View Road. Both are now disused.

Both were built around the same time, in the same materials, and in a broadly similar style. One faced onto Sharrow Lane, the other was built at the junctions of South View and Vincent roads, just by Abbeydale Road..

The one at the junction of SVR and Vincent Rd was the sufi mosque, and that's the one that''s "gone up".

hope that clarifies it for you?

That's it. You've made me sad now - reminded me how much I like to see it when I get home from my b*stard commute!

When it's all cooled down, try nipping out and salvaging some fancy stonework for your garden. Just as a memento, of course!

Makes you wonder yust how religious the folks of Abbeydale Road area used to be with all the churches that there are, or rather were, dotted around.

The one on the main Abbeydale Road "Mother of God Parish Centre?", the one burnt down, the one demolished on Machon Bank/Empire Road

all within a couple of minutes walk of each other

Sheffield was and is a methodist city which sort of explains why there are no pubs in that area

yes that was the one... it doesnt look much like that now I can tell you. We live just behind the houses opposite and went out to see what the smoke was when it first started. I was filming as the flames broke through the smoke. Am trying to upload the footage somwhere now and will post a link when I suceed.

Same here Nicoracle! Stevesheff2008 says he has the technology!