Fire near Abbeydale Rd..

Threads merged. Please check for existing threads before starting new threads.

Yes - Sufi Centre on South View/Vincent Road corner. We live across the street. It's a real shame. Very unlikely that there was anyone in it. I walk past every night and it's been boarded up for ages. Have been chatting to people on South View Road and have agreed that 99% = suspicion, but 100% certainty of dodginess is, er, certainty!

V sad because it was a nice landmark and will now become 'desirable city 'centre' living...

A couple of houses have been evacuated, and it's still not completely out, but I live 15 yards away and not feeling in danger.

Still a lot of smoke and 3 fire engines, but can't see any flames at the moment. I could see them throughout the building about 20 minutes ago. Feeling slightly daft cos I only knew when I went to put something in the wheelie bin and wondered why there was a crowd in front of my house!

The firemen are much nearer the building now, so I think they've got it under control. The crowd has disappeared anyway...

thats good to hear but doubt if the building itself will be saved as to the picture it looks badly damaged

No - it will be completely gutted I think. Bit like me! Like an earlier poster said, there was scaffolding on it - since November mind you - and it's listed. We were hoping that would mean it didn't become flats, but I can't help feeling this is a Gatecrasher-type incident, if you know what I mean.

They're still pumping water into it...

everthings a conspiracy...........even this forum............this could be a case for mulder and scully

Fire was so bad! I was sat on the bus, I could hear sirens and was like 'meh' then as we got closer I noticed every shop keeper was outside and there were crowds of people taking pics etc. I was straining to look out of the front of the bus but couldn't see anything, then I looked to my right out the window "oh sh**!" (sorry to the woman behind if it offended you) Massive fire on what looked like a church with scaffolding holding it up (later found out it was a mosque). I was glad to see the building was vacant but then accross from it I could see a terraced house accross the road was smoking so obviously smoking debris had blown onto it. It was such a fierce fire I could feel the heat through the glass on the bus window! Fire men everywhere sirens and a fireman frantically changing into his gear, woodseats station were rappidly deploying coppers and 30 nearby homes had to be evacuated:(

I know I'm going to sound a bit Blue Peter or something now, but I've got to say, firefighters (they do all actually seem to be men tonight, but I'm being PC!) are pretty cool. They're still there, looking very reliable as they save my house from possible doom. There are still flames inside and on the roof. I've never been this close to a fire and what they're doing is pretty impressive. That's all I want to say. If there are any firefighters on t'Forum, nice work! And thanks.

i think they will be there for another couple of hours or so just to make sure everything is fine and out