Fire near Abbeydale Rd..

Because you quoted someone who was giving a historical reason for the lack of watering holes, and you attributed it to the new ethnic populace. I'm not criticising your thoughts, but it did come across a touch abrasively.

Don't fly off the handle, mate.

What? It was you who flew off the handle!

It's like this: Muslims aren't supposed to drink alcohol. There is a high percentage Muslim population in the area. Supply matches demand. Demand is low; therefore, surprise, surprise, supply is low! Pure logic, that's all. The abrasive quality you perceived is an artefact of your bizarre mind.

If three people on this thread have pointed out the same thing to you how does it make me any of the above. If anything the above fits you quite well :).
Not when those three people are riddled with hatred and prejudice!

i think it would be a good kick in the nuts if they was to rebuild it as was

Agreed. It's amazing isn't it, how much history in Sheffield seems to go up in smoke. I'm sure there are lots of beautiful buildings that should be listed but aren't.

Eerie or what!!

Very eerie......as i said i my previous post.... but it may be smoke and wind ?????...a la peter kay ! :)

Along the Abbeydale Road corridor, from The Crown, the pub which was at the very beginning of Abbeydale road, (which is now apartments) there was not another pub, all the way along the length of Abbeydale Road, until you got to The Broadfield.

The next nearest pubs after that, are about as far on, again, at Millhouses.

Three pubs, in about, what, four miles, in a densely built up area, is a bit of a puzzler, isn't it?

I think you'll find the pub at the beginning of Abbeydale road was the Royal Hotel, - the Crown was in 'Little Sheffield' on London road.

The dearth of pubs arose from the terms of sale/lease imposed by the owners of the land who imposed covenants to prohibit public houses. At the time they were indeed 'Methodists'. There were a few beer-off shops - I can remember one on Sitwell road and certainly one or two on Abbeydale road.

What? It was you who flew off the handle!

It's like this: Muslims aren't supposed to drink alcohol. There is a high percentage Muslim population in the area. Supply matches demand. Demand is low; therefore, surprise, surprise, supply is low! Pure logic, that's all. The abrasive quality you perceived is an artefact of your bizarre mind.

If you think that agreeing that your post seemed a bit offish, and then saying that posts can be mis-read is 'flying off the handle', then you're a tad over-sensitive.

The simple historical fact was that there were few watering holes round there due to the Temperance movement/Methodism (long before a Muslim community grew), and there is little land to create more watering holes since said movement declined, though a couple have sprung up.

The history is not relevant. If there was a demand for pubs, there would surely be a supply. Of course, if it turns out that religious dogma is still manifest in the land deeds, then that would explain it.

Take a look at your last sentence there. We all agree, don't we?

All of which is a bit off topic anyway.

I think you'll find the pub at the beginning of Abbeydale road was the Royal Hotel, - the Crown was in 'Little Sheffield' on London road.

The dearth of pubs arose from the terms of sale/lease imposed by the owners of the land who imposed covenants to prohibit public houses. At the time they were indeed 'Methodists'. There were a few beer-off shops - I can remember one on Sitwell road and certainly one or two on Abbeydale road.

yes, I know, my bad...

Rubydazzler corrected me in post #103, and I answered her with my explanation for the mix up, in post #106, almost a hundred posts back.

thre were two beer-offs on sitwell road when I was a kid in the 70's. there was "fitzies", (Fitzgeralds) on the corner of Mount Pleasant and Sitwell roads, opposite the bakers shop. Then on the same side, further up, by the junction of Sitwell Road with Cecil Road there was another beer-off shop. The name of the proprietor I can't remember, I just remember him as a jolly man, plump-ish with grey hair, and I seem to remember he always wore a charcoal coloured overall thingie.

there were shops on the corner of vincent road, too, top right side was a butchers, can't remember the bottom right, and sharrow electrical was on the top left.

I remember "Roses" beer off, on the corner of abbeydale road and Horner Road. Mrs Roe always used to call us kids "soss-pot". I don't remember other beer offs (ok, I was too young to drink, so I didn't take mucuh notice whether the shops were licenced!)

The building was grade 2 listed. There's been several campaigns to stop the building being turned into flats in the past which were sucessful.

The fire was started by a work man accidentally according to the police and fire people last night and one of the structural engineers told me that he didn't think the building would be demolished. The brickwork doesn't look bad.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Mosque-inferno--YOUR-PICTURES.3996383.jp

Started by a workman! At least they were honest, if perhaps a little equivocal.

Now they can turn it into flats and instead of protests there'll be relief that at least the building was saved. How convenient. At least the poor old vagrant didn't get the blame this time.

this is your favourite pic which is the flames blowing at the direction of me as i ran out of my house screaming at my daughter (jen) to get in the car and drive before it blows, i was in the middle of the rd in thick black smoke listening to her screaming mum i cant see, i cant see! the blue bmw in the other pics is my sons in laws pride & joy, please remember this when phrasing these pics, p.s thanks to the lady who offered my daughter a coat, we was sent to the mosque for shelter to get warm to be told we could not stay there & to go in the womens building next door which was so cold we left, everybody was so eager to take photos shame the crowd was not eager to offer a warm drink but i finally got 1 at midnight

Yeah that's my favourite picture. Out of the ones I took that's the one I think is the best, hence my 'phrasing' that it's my favourite.

Please don't get the wrong idea, I'm not suggesting the whole event was some kind of funky party - the people living in the path of the massive plumes of smoke clearly had a hard time, and the houses across the road and the cars parked outside them were obviously at risk, I saw the firefighters spraying water on them (houses and cars) and loads of steam pouring off them.

I was stood taking photos along with everyone else, in a crowd of 150 people (or so, I didn't count them) but if you'd asked me, or if I'd had any idea who you were, i.e. a resident who'd had to leave their house, not just a spectator, then of course I'd had offered you and your daughter my coat, hot drinks, whatever.

I was standing outside the cordon not getting in anyone's way, there were emergency services dealing with the situation - did you ask the police to sort you out with a cup of tea and a warm place to sit? I would have thought (although I may be wrong) that would form part of their duties at such an incident.

Did you ask anyone for help? I for one would have been happy to help out if you'd said anything to me. :)