Fire near Abbeydale Rd..

The damage isn't as bad as I thought it would be, at least the brickwork isn't. The building is grade 2 listed so I imagine they will have to rebuild it rather than pull it down.

have to say thats a fantastic pic has to be my fav to,i used to walk past this church to go to school.its very sad

Cheers - terrible shame, as you say, was a nice quirky building, we need more of that sort of thing I reckon (quirky buildings, not fires).

Cheers - terrible shame, as you say, was a nice quirky building, we need more of that sort of thing I reckon (quirky buildings, not fires).

i agree about buildings not fires ....lol

Is the site defintely earmarked for a construction project and was the building listed? If so you can almost guarantee that the fire was "started by a vagrant", the standard euphemism in most of these cases.

Big shame there's been such damage but glad no-one's been hurt.

Thank you to all you who've been filling in the gaps re. the lack of pubs, temperence movement etc. I have wondered why there were so few boozers along that stretch, but never really thought why, didn't know the Temperence movement was so big in this part of Sheffield, so I've learned something today!

Big shame there's been such damage but glad no-one's been hurt.

Thank you to all you who've been filling in the gaps re. the lack of pubs, temperence movement etc. I have wondered why there were so few boozers along that stretch, but never really thought why, didn't know the Temperence movement was so big in this part of Sheffield, so I've learned something today!

Hi trickysam. yes, temperance was quite big in Sheffield, (frequently combined with Methodism) right up until the nineteen-thirties and later.

One of my great-aunts was "temperance".

I remember there being a piece in The Star, and on here, about the big sign found a couple of years ago, when the workmen were stripping out Carmel House (where 3-shop and H&M are at teh top of fargate)

On the back wall there was revealed a huge sign, painted into the brickwork of what is now the Yorkshire Bank, advertising a temperance hotel which was adjacent.

Is the site defintely earmarked for a construction project and was the building listed? If so you can almost guarantee that the fire was "started by a vagrant", the standard euphemism in most of these cases.

The building was grade 2 listed. There's been several campaigns to stop the building being turned into flats in the past which were sucessful.

The fire was started by a work man accidentally according to the police and fire people last night and one of the structural engineers told me that he didn't think the building would be demolished. The brickwork doesn't look bad.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Mosque-inferno--YOUR-PICTURES.3996383.jp

If you go to the 24 hr Spar on Abbeydale Rd., next door is that antique shop. (think it's called the Dronfield antique centre) If you look under the window there you can see the place used to be a 'Temperance bar' - bit of an oxymoron I suppose.

Got home from work at around 6.20 last night and sat down and put the TV on. About 10 minutes later I noticed the smell in the air and looked out my window, saw the column of smoke - I live nearby so went round with my camera - http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/kamble1/vincent%20rd%20fire%2017%2004%2008/L1000872.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/kamble1/vincent%20rd%20fire%2017%2004%2008/L1000885.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/kamble1/vincent%20rd%20fire%2017%2004%2008/L1000870.jpg

But this one was my favourite: http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/kamble1/vincent%20rd%20fire%2017%2004%2008/L1000877.jpg

The flames look like a huge man jumping from the building !!!...or do i need to go to specsavers ??

They called it the "St Vincent's" church this morning onthe Radio Shefield news.

I don't remember it ever having that name, the only St Vincents I knew of is St Vincents in the Solly Street area.

It is very sad that the church building is gone, as it was a quirky building, (as someone has mentioned) with it's unusual tower.

Growing up in that neighbourhood, and passing that building daily, pretty much, as I made way to school, etc, I look(ed) upon it with fondness. It featured a lot in my childhood.

If I'm honest, as that building had been in use until fairly recently, I'd never have expected it to meet that fate.

If I were a gambler, I would have taken odds on that fate to have happened to the old methodist church on Sharrow lane, as that building has been as near-as-damn-it derelict for many years. I t was full of dry rot, and crumlbling, even whilst it was being used by the rapidly dwindling congregation fourteen or fifteen years ago.(when I was caretaker there, it could be as few as a dozen attendees there , including the minister and the organist)

Further to the comment above about it supposedly being called "St Vincents".

I have found information elsewhere that the church was initially named

"Abbeydale Primitive Methodist" (at the time there being two "styles" of Methodism runing in parallel:- the "Methodist New Connexion" (sic) and the "Primitive Methodist" (known as the "Prim")

Sharrow St Johns, on Sharrow Lane was originally built in 1889, (extended in 1906) as a "New Connexion". The one which has burnt down was built roughly around the same time (1860's to 180s approx), and, as I say, was a "Prim"

this is your favourite pic which is the flames blowing at the direction of me as i ran out of my house screaming at my daughter (jen) to get in the car and drive before it blows, i was in the middle of the rd in thick black smoke listening to her screaming mum i cant see, i cant see! the blue bmw in the other pics is my sons in laws pride & joy, please remember this when phrasing these pics, p.s thanks to the lady who offered my daughter a coat, we was sent to the mosque for shelter to get warm to be told we could not stay there & to go in the womens building next door which was so cold we left, everybody was so eager to take photos shame the crowd was not eager to offer a warm drink but i finally got 1 at midnight