Fire near Abbeydale Rd..

thanks for that, exmrbd, you need to post 5 times before being able to post a URL - it's an anti-spam thing apparently:

"1. In an effort to reduce spam, we require all users to have 5 posts before you can post a link. If you have a link (web address) in your text please remove it and try again."

chip_scooter

Some great pictures there :D

I'm not surprised - it is a great film

it's amazing they were letting people walk around so close to the building.

I can only imagine how bad it's going to smell in those houses, so lucky none of them caught fire.

Although, on "pondering" it, the methodism/ temperence link does ring bells..

It does now you mention it.

The antique shop near the Spar, isn't that marked as the Temperance Society?

That's massive.

I'd be VERY nervous if I lived in one of those houses :o

I do, we are 4 doors up on the vincent road side.

I got a phone call when I was around the corner telling me not to come down our road and parked on south view instead. I could see the flame and feared the worst and basically ran home. We had all our essential paperwork gathered togather and everything, its been one hell of an evening

Abbeydale Rd still shut for anyone who might be thinking of heading that way

At the moment only buses are allowed to pass the bottom of south view road along abbeydale road. I live opposite the building on south view road & have just been allowed to go back home on condition we dont leave tonight & stay in the back of the house, as the expect the building to collapse.

I left my house at 6.30 on the way to karate class- all suited up & nothing else, to find a little black smoke coming from the building i immediately called 999 but within minutes i could not see more than a few feet in front of me for think black smoke. Police then came and evacuated us, after 2 hours of been stood in the cold, they arrange for us to go to the nearby mosque & we was told the council would be along shortly to provide us with accomodation to keep warm and something to drink & eat, but at 9.30 no one had been & we was still wandering the streets. Among those who was initially evacuated was a disabled man in a wheel chair, he was left in the care of people at the mosque- as no one from the council ever turned up!

I must thank all the people at the mosque for making us feel welcome, but still i would have like some reassurance from the council, or even a drink to soothe our throats after breathing in all that smoke.

Good grief it looks so close to us in those, its frightening, at least from the ground you felt there was some distance.

It was definitely quite hot until the police started to move people back, no doubt because of fear of a collapse. I'd hate to have parked my car anywhere near it and at least half of the fire engines were concentrating their water on the roofs of the houses over the road where you could see it instantly evaporating off.

definitely you could really feel the heat off it, i stood outside in just a jumper and ate my tea in the middle of vincent road.

ETA having just stuck my head out my sky light you can STILL feel the heat from it, but then we are closer than a lot

I was not Muslim bashing you fool! I was offering a rational and reasonable explanation for the lack of pubs in the area. How dare you accuse me of religious hatred! What a small-minded and ignorant thing to do!

If three people on this thread have pointed out the same thing to you how does it make me any of the above. If anything the above fits you quite well :).