Fire near Abbeydale Rd..

Thank goodness your back in PT.

I knew you had the background on this area as you have filled in the gaps before.

I was not Muslim bashing you fool! I was offering a rational and reasonable explanation for the lack of pubs in the area. How dare you accuse me of religious hatred! What a small-minded and ignorant thing to do!

Well, to be honest, it seemed that way to me, too. We can all mis-read things at times ......

I think you will find that there was a period when Pubs were frowned upon, which coincided with the building of several arterial roads with No pubs. Probably from around 1880 to 1900. This is why so many large roads like Middlewood road and most of Abbeydale road have no pubs. The fact that this coincided with the building of the Big Methodist Churches was probably incidental. Don't forget that in 1914 the government was so worried about public drunkedness that the drinking up hours began. This was probably a mood which was the result of working people drinkng far too much gin and beer and they thought it would seriously harm the war effort.

I think that the Mother of god parish centre was also a methodist church originally.

by 1969 the Catholic church was the catholic church same as today, but the other bit next door was a congregational church.

There was a temperance movement which was very popular from late Victorian times to the early 20th century. There's even a sign to be seen on one of the shopfronts near the old Abbeydale Cinema saying "Temperance Bar".

These temperance bars were an alternative to pubs and sold various fruit cordials. There's still one temperance bar survives in Rawtenstall and the best known surviving temperance bar drink is Vimto

http://www.fitzpatricks1890.co.uk/

Back on topic - it's such a shame that old church was burnt dowm. It was a real landmark with a unique tower that reminded me of Thunderbird 3.

story on calendar now

They used my footage... I am now a bonifide citizen journalist!

Well, to be honest, it seemed that way to me, too. We can all mis-read things at times ......

Yep I agree

Just nipped out and took a few snaps - the building's a write-off.

I can't post my Flickr photo stream 'cos I ain't yet posted enough times to the forum...

To see some pics of the scene taken about an hour ago please visit Flickr and search for "Chip_Scooter" in "People" - that's me.

Sweet as a nut!

Chip_Scooter

Why the Hell did it seem that way to you? :huh:

erm... somehow I don't think any Muslims were responsible for the building of that area 150 years ago...

Methodism, and the "free-church" were very strong influences in Sheffield.

Along the Abbeydale Road corridor, from The Crown, the pub which was at the very beginning of Abbeydale road, (which is now apartments) there was not another pub, all the way along the length of Abbeydale Road, until you got to The Broadfield.

The next nearest pubs after that, are about as far on, again, at Millhouses.

Three pubs, in about, what, four miles, in a densely built up area, is a bit of a puzzler, isn't it?

Off topic, granted, but there were/are other places off the beaten track (Byron House, Union Hotel, Priory Inn, The Vine, The Stag, etc.), but I'm not sure when they were all built. Certainly I didn't include the Cross Guns in there as it was built in the 60's, I think.

That said, compared to other areas of Sheffield, there is a definite paucity of watering-holes round there!

Just nipped out and took a few snaps - the building's a write-off.

I can't post my Flickr photo stream 'cos I ain't yet posted enough times to the forum...

To see some pics of the scene taken about an hour ago please visit Flickr and search for "Chip_Scooter" in "People" - that's me.

Sweet as a nut!

Chip_Scooter

I wonder if this link will work :huh:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chip_scooter/

Why the Hell did it seem that way to you? :huh:

Because you quoted someone who was giving a historical reason for the lack of watering holes, and you attributed it to the new ethnic populace. I'm not criticising your thoughts, but it did come across a touch abrasively.

Don't fly off the handle, mate.

thanks for that, exmrbd, you need to post 5 times before being able to post a URL - it's an anti-spam thing apparently:

"1. In an effort to reduce spam, we require all users to have 5 posts before you can post a link. If you have a link (web address) in your text please remove it and try again."

chip_scooter

They used my footage... I am now a bonifide citizen journalist!

I'm not surprised - it is a great film