Chappie, what are your opinions?

Well after the last thread about Chappie we are trying it on our dogs. Albert has a sensitive tum and tilly guts of steal. We have been using it for about a month now and i have to say i am not right impressed. We were using Jollyes own brand kibble which has no derivatives, gluten and preservative free and aimed at those who are sensitive and both dogs were fairly ok with it but ALbert would have some tum trouble every now and again.

Chappie is much cheaper we paid about £13 for 17kg in my opinion much cheaper than must other brands. We are using the chicken complete dry food at the moment. It has turned there faeces into a bright yellow colour and i am convinced they are passing more than they were previously not to be to graphic but much bigger amounts each time they go. I do not feel Albert's tummy is getting better to be honest i think it is getting worse and i am seriously considering changing back gradually and getting him back on the old food. I have half a bag to go so will see how he goes over the next few weeks.

Tilly has been ok although she has had some loose movements and i have never seen this in her before so not a great result but she is ok now.

They do seem to like it more so it must taste better Albert was indifferent about dry food before but he does like this better than the last. They like the wet stuff but it does stink and made him smell as well so we have avoided that and for our little treats they still have nature diet.

I don't particularly feel comfortable using a food with unknown parts so i think i shall be changing back to our food anyway at some point.

They're bold statements! You can't blanket the best food for all dogs alike!

Besides, what makes Morrisons the bes place to buy it from? Just out of interest, of course!

I think you misunderstood what i said about food for all dogs alike.

1. In all the dogs i've owned i have tried nearly all brands and this has suited them the most.

2. I didn't mean Morrisons was THE best place to buy Chappie. Its just the only place i have managed to locate it in smaller quantities of purchase locally.

PS: i am not a fan of Morrisons otherwise. I am an ASDA Shopper.

Check out the ingredients on the tin this is usually an indicator that what you are actually paying for is:

a bit of meat (usually about 4% in most tinned food) and the rest is crap and water.

I think you misunderstood what i said about food for all dogs alike.

1. In all the dogs i've owned i have tried nearly all brands and this has suited them the most.

2. I didn't mean Morrisons was THE best place to buy Chappie. Its just the only place i have managed to locate it in smaller quantities of purchase locally.

PS: i am not a fan of Morrisons otherwise. I am an ASDA Shopper.

Sorry, reading that back it does sound like I'm jumping down your throat a bit.:blush:

It's just reading what you said at face value says that Chappie is the best food for ALL dogs with no consideration at all for their breed/type/physiology. If that's not what you meant, I got it wrong.

Oh, and obviously I need to state at this point that The Mutts Nutz is the best place to order your dog food from, indiscriminate of what brand it is :heyhey:

I feed Chappie... can't say I've particularly noticed it being good for their tum as Takara's poos have been bigger (and softer) since being on it (but not runny).

I feed it because it fills her up, it's the only food that's done that - and as she started putting weight on following her spay, it's good as she need less of it and it's lower in fat. It also doesn't have too much of a high protein level.

I can't say it's the first food I'd recommend and was shocked at having three different vets recommend it for my dogs but Takara is healthy on it and Eddy will be starting on it when his current bag of food runs out as he prefers hers to his :rolleyes: and I feed sardines with it a few times a week to keep her coat in good condition.

Morrisons sells it (Tesco doesn't) but don't know about other supermarkets... I buy it either from my vet or local pet shop (at least they have some clue about dogs and business unlike some of the sources listed on this thread ;) )

many thanks for your replies. I have decided against Chappie despite the vets recommends and am giving a barf diet a shot. I have read so many good things about barf, and have spoken to quite a few gsd owners with dogs with funny tums.

I spent hours on the net last week researching dog food and was amazed and horrified at what goes into them and also how we have changed the way our dogs like to feed naturally.

There are many many reports of good results from feeding an all natural diet and if it helps Josh I will be over the moon.

Would be interested if anyone else has tried barf and what results they have had:)

Update, have been away for a few days and started putting barf into Joshs normal foods. Amazingly his runs have all but cleared up. Coincidence - dont know but I was getting so worried about the constant re occurance of runs and the anti biotics and anti inflammatories the vet was pumping down him. If this works for him its got to be better than a life of medication

Morrisons sells it (Tesco doesn't) but don't know about other supermarkets... I buy it either from my vet or local pet shop (at least they have some clue about dogs and business unlike some of the sources listed on this thread ;) )

Makro sell the dried food too, so if you know someone with a card then you could bag a ride and check out the prices there to compare costs.

Update, have been away for a few days and started putting barf into Joshs normal foods. Amazingly his runs have all but cleared up. Coincidence - dont know but I was getting so worried about the constant re occurance of runs and the anti biotics and anti inflammatories the vet was pumping down him. If this works for him its got to be better than a life of medication

It's not the sort of thing that you can assign as a success after such a short time, but it definitely sounds promising.

Crossed fingers that it keeps Josh happy and healthy.

Our GSD (RIP) was fed on Chappie - it wasn't her main food as I recall but I think she had it a couple or three times a week and absolutely loved it. Does smell vile though - that didn't put her off it thought, clean bowl, every time. She was a very healthy active dog living to 15yrs ish (not contributing that to Chappie as such, but it may have been a factor) I'm pretty sure our vet (or my parents rather) suggested it when she was having some tummy problems as a puppy.

Sometimes I put a bit of Chappie in with my dogs complete food to make it a bit more interesting for them, they really love it...but yes it does smell :gag: