Chappie, what are your opinions?

Josh has a bit of trouble with his tum. He has been on Burns for 5 weeks and still having problems. The vet suggested Chappie but somehow it seems strange to give my dog one of the foods that I used to consider to be bottom of the range!

I have read some good reviews on it for dogs with iffy tums but unfortunately also came up with loads of information about additives and chemicals in commercial dog foods which can ultimately lead to renal failure. (not particulary aimed at chappie but general on commercial foods) eeek :o Does anyone make their own food, have read up a bit on this too, but remember giving him minced turkey once and wow talk about runs! Just wondered what general opinion is on here?

you can't feed a dog purely meat for starters - so tht may explain that one

Chappie was something we regarded as cheap many years ago - but it was the food that didn't upset our JRT's tum, so that's what he had :)

Apparently so I have been told by many people, vets included, you should try to keep an eye on the meat content. A lot of foods have a description of 7% meat content (includes derivitives) derivitives are claws, beaks, eyes etc. We changed our dogs to Hi Life which is 24% meat & no derivitives. This is a wet food, mine are not keen on dry food but I do throw a handful of wainwrights (again same kind of content) in for their teeth.

Chappie has been known to sort out dogs tums (high fish base). However It does have a lot of crap in it as Lindsey has discribed. I think they are also owned by Pedigree Masterfoods / Mars, who test on animals if you are bothered by that. (You dont need to answer that question as we have debated this many times on the forum) but some people want to be aware.

yes - Chappie is a Pedigree product

I dislike using masterfoods products, but when my dog had stomach trouble (colitis) chappie helped. (it was pretty much the same in texture etc as the ?science diet? in cans(?)

He has dry food these days, high in chicken and rice. He rarely seems to get colitis these days (unless he's been a little tinker, and pinched the cats food or something) thank DOYC.

Red meats and game are definitely too rich for his poor old tum.

My youngest Sam has problems with intersting bowel movements due to a sensitive tummy. He does well on JWB ocean fish for his regular meals and I give him Nature Diet once a week for a treat.

It smells! That's my opinion, lol!

I can't feed it to my dog as the smell of it makes me feel like I'm about to throw up. My husbands parents always feed it to her and their dog after we've eaten, then they both come up to me with their stinky breath and argh, it's not nice to smell anyway but especially not after eating, lol!

Does anyone else think it's stinky or is it just me?

Other foods seem to smell quite yummy, haha!

Our vet had positive things to say about Chappie when we were looking to sort out Raymond's Inflamatory bowel problem. However, we ended up putting him on Hills Prescription w/d, which is keeping him stable (along with medication). My friend who lives in Camberley was similarly recommended Chappie by her vet.

my parents mix a few hand fulls of dried food with cooked rice. This is ligher for his stomach. they mainly do this for weight control, but also feed more rice if his tummy is upset.

your vet is right. chappie is the best food on the market for all doggies alike. i have a rescued elderley yorkie who could not seem to stomach anything without it shooting through the other end faster than the speed of light. so i tried it and never looked back. there are 2 flavors original or chicken and rice which was more suitable and natural for my lad. introduce slowly over 10 days or so. chappie also do complete biscuits aswell. i feed a bit of both. biscuits mainly for teeth. best place to get both of these is morrisons. hope this helps. be interested to know how you get on if you try it.

your vet is right. chappie is the best food on the market for all doggies alike. i have a rescued elderley yorkie who could not seem to stomach anything without it shooting through the other end faster than the speed of light. so i tried it and never looked back. there are 2 flavors original or chicken and rice which was more suitable and natural for my lad. introduce slowly over 10 days or so. chappie also do complete biscuits aswell. i feed a bit of both. biscuits mainly for teeth. best place to get both of these is morrisons. hope this helps. be interested to know how you get on if you try it.

They're bold statements! You can't blanket the best food for all dogs alike!

Besides, what makes Morrisons the bes place to buy it from? Just out of interest, of course!