NUT Schools Strike 24th April

hahaha!!!

I mean most teachers could do with a bit of life experience to fully appreciate how good they have got it.

Teachers bitch about not getting their yearly pay rise (which as stated previously isn't performance related, its given to you weather you've done a good job or not!!).

They'd well know that the majority of workers have to present their bosses with a whole report on why they deserve a pay rise, what they offer to the compay, what serves you've offered over the last year and the amount of unpaid over time you've done, then you might just about justify a pay rise.

Teachers are given a pay rise whatever the circumstances and now they've noticed its just below the rate of inflation they decide to srtike without any consideration for the kids.

I worked in retail management, business ownership and training for nine years and throughout university in retail through my college years so i like to think i've got the life experience you talk about.

You need to have a conversation with your wife me thinks. Teacher's pay from next year will be performance related - quite simply if you don't meet your performance management targets you won't be getting a pay rise or the whole pay rise you are entitled to. This includes keeping a yearly portfolio of how you have met this, substantially more than any performance review i've ever filled in for any other job. Teachers do hours of overtime... i've harped on this corner before.

Although my payrise was performance related in retail, it came down more to bonuses. However hard i work at my job, there is no bonus, bar a box of choccies and some bath bombs financially unless i choose to go into management. Infact the amount of resources and work material i buy for my classroom out of my own wages would shock most people. The bonus is knowing you've helped someone along the way in some way shape or form.

And yes i frequently question why i've chosen this as a career... :|

I won't be striking... quite simply can't afford to. I'm gonna sign up with agency that pays £200 smackers a day me thinks!

Also teachers who are due to retire this year have been advised not to strike by the union.

As i have every good intention of winning the lottery...

If it's such a great job, how come 50% of teachers quit in the first 5 years?

Everyone thinks that because they went to school they know what a teacher does.

Believe me, the bit you see is only the tip of the iceberg.

You have to do the job to believe it, hence those that find out the hard way leave.

To be honest I am seriously reconsidering training as a teacher. I specifically want to do a job where I am valued and one which I find rewarding. However, it doesn't seem that a lot of people value teachers at all. I'm not expecting thanks most of the time and I'm trying to remember how fantastic the school is that I currently work unpaid at. The teachers there are brilliant and the pupils clearly benefit from, and appreciate, their hard work.

To be honest I am seriously reconsidering training as a teacher. I specifically want to do a job where I am valued and one which I find rewarding. However, it doesn't seem that a lot of people value teachers at all. I'm not expecting thanks most of the time and I'm trying to remember how fantastic the school is that I currently work unpaid at. The teachers there are brilliant and the pupils clearly benefit from, and appreciate, their hard work.

I'd be the last person to put you off if you are really dedicated. The teaching profession needs people like you. Too many students think it's an easy way to make a living (short hours, long holidays...you've no doubt heard it all) and a good standby if they can't get anything else. Then they find out what it's really like.

Working with the kids is great and a priviledge, it makes up for a lot, but the rest of it is ****e and the rest of it is the bit that's taking over the job in spades.

Good luck to em I say the crap they have to put up with :D if they want to strike then strike :D

Yes good luck to the teachers.

As another public sector worker getting a 0% pay rise this year, whilst the private sector are seeing average payrises of 4.3%. It is time we said enough is enough.

For those teachers worried about taking strike action. Consider you joined a union so it would act in solidarity democratically for the advancement of your conditions. If you don't strike you are betraying that democratic principle, the votes and wishes of your workmates and undermining the fundamental source of your strength.

Heyesey, what have the unions ever done for us? :hihi:

My kids teacher is on strike

Wouldn't normally mind but I got my theory test booked for that day ....

got a real farce on trying to sort the kids out :(

Sorry it's taken a while to reply, OH was using computer to prepare tomorrows lessons..............anyway.

Teachers who leave the profession however, usually find jobs which pay far more. After all, teachers have education to a post graduate level, excellent organisational skills, people skills, management skills, communication skills, even social work skills! The private sector are willing to pay for these skills, while the government doesn't want to!

Which means that you are in the fortunate position of being free to take up another career if you wish but despite your complaints about teaching you don't seem to want to do.

It's still work! We can mark books at home or at school, it often takes us past 5pm. What's your point?
My point is that you are not working under work conditions i.e. with breathing down your neck and you can do it at your leisure and spin the time out.

Sorry it's taken a while to reply, OH was using computer to prepare tomorrows lessons.............

Look at the time!! I'm also awake now marking books and preparing stuff!! Which other professions do this? We deserve a pay increase in line with inflation, and not a pay cut!

you are in the fortunate position of being free to take up another career if you wish

Many good teachers are doing just this. By improvng pay and conditions, perhaps retention of good teachers will be increased!

you are not working under work conditions i.e. with breathing down your neck

What nonsense! Just because we're not sitting on a production line with an overbearing manager doesn't mean it's not proper work!

and you can do it at your leisure and spin the time out.

You are making me laugh now! Does your OH enjoy "spinning time out" so he's awake this late just for fun?

Cheers for all your sound adive, my missus has cancelled her NUT membership and joined PAT or Voice as i think its now called!

Good luck with the strike.

Good luck with the strike

you guys should get paid twice what you do .

Good luck with the strike

you guys should get paid twice what you do .

Why do people think teachers should get paid loads for doing a horrible job? It's not a healthy attitude but unfortunately the Govt and the NUT seem to share it.