What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

I miss Cairo Jax and The Fiesta.........Must be getting old!!

The Boating Lake in High Hazels Park at Darnall. Redgates and Joel`s every Saturday. The lift to Victoria Station from the Wicker. Wilson Peck`s, with the progressive music section in the corner. Jeff`s Records and Amazing Records on Cambridge Street. Virgin Records at the bottom of the Moor when it was a "proper record store". The Buccaneer (Oh Happy Days), the Penthouse with 10p drinks night every Wednesday, with all those lovely nurses! The standard 6p fares on the buses, and didn`t we complain when it rose to 10p!:hihi:

Rmeber this place very well - used to live quite close - not my regular haunt but called in occasionally and certainly a favourite with both my Dad and Grandad.

...the WW2 crowd was great and the singing they did!...probably there were some WW1 folks lingering there as well...and later fish and chips down on Infirmary Road...is Centenary House still standing???...some of the residents there were, um, legendary...a small antique shoppe up top...I'll have to look up the address...

It shows how disastrous those new buildings on the Peace Gardens are that people I know now feel nostalgic for the eggbox! We thought it couldn't get any uglier!

Anyway, good to see someone in the thread remembers Forge FM. I was involved in it in my youth, and this is the first evidence for nearly a decade that anyone was actually listening...

YSF books on Sharrow Lane Road was a bit magical. The mad old man, the free chocolates (even if you hadn't bought anything - 'go on take another couple'), the witty and philosophical quotes pinned up everywhere, the smell of insence, the well-read cat that my friend thought was stuffed (it was that sort of place). She screamed when it woke up and stretched.

Does anyone remember that odd shop on Devonshire Green near Rare and Racy? It was a lonely old lady selling old clothes for 20p to raise money to feed her cats. It made me want to cry, and it was so bizarre being surrounded by all the trendy shops for the well-heeled. Then one day it wasn't there and she must have died...

Oh, and the dearly beloved Lower Refec at the Uni. It's just not the same.

Does anyone remember that odd shop on Devonshire Green near Rare and Racy? It was a lonely old lady selling old clothes for 20p to raise money to feed her cats. It made me want to cry, and it was so bizarre being surrounded by all the trendy shops for the well-heeled. Then one day it wasn't there and she must have died...

I used to go in there, god, oh-so-many years ago. AFAIK, that lady didn't die , at least, not around that time, anyway (goodness only knows if she is still with us!)

You could get some bargains, from her- if you didn't mind the cats, having lain on the clothes in the window ! lol! (I remember a big fluffy cat, a black-and-white, IIRC, that was always curled up, comfy, asleep in the middle of the front window!)

I remember the old Royal Hospital, looming, glowering, even, over the back from her shop.

I think she was moved out, because her shop didn't fit in with what was being done around Division Street/ Devonshire Street, how they were trying to make it all "upmarket" and "trendy".

PT

ABC cinema- wonderful place.

Sheaf Baths.

Mobile vans coming round our way, when you need a loaf or teabags.

Buses that had much more room for sitting on.

Old No 12 - had the best fillet steak ever in that place. (early 70's)

And how Pond Street used to be so busy.

Great read.

I miss all the houses and people that made up the community in Heeley,round Gregory road,what a good place to grow up!

employment

Cheap public transport, and Millhouses Park and Longley Park open air baths, and the Mojo club and the Esquire and the cricket pitch at Bramhall Lane (I used to be a ball boy). Oh and Mace's original pet shop at the market.

Millhouses Lido. The hole in the road. Redgates. The Spion Kop at Hillsborough. Suggs Sports.:thumbsup:

I miss the hole in the road with the fish tank.......