What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

i miss all my friends that i grew up with.... god we didnt half have some laughs.... sadly none of us keep in touch.

i hate the way things change!:cry:

The thing I miss most is me not being there. I left Sheffield in 1968

when I joined the RAF. and have only been back a few times since then. I've only just discovered this forum, and having spent the last hour reading through I can tell you a little nostalgia has crept in causing a little home sickness. I remember most of the things that others have mentioned, quite a few I'd forgoten about.

I don't know what has happened to the hole in the road and the giant fish tank but I can remember the hole in the road being dug.

I'm afraid that history is a thing of the past:confused:

i loved going to sheaf baths (any pics any1)

i went once for a friends birthday and being clever (or so i thought) i jumped of the top diving board on the way down my arms flew up and smacked me in the face when i came up there was blood every where what a plank.

My favourite was going to town at Christmas and looking at the lights, (better than now) then stopping at Wimpy for burger. looking in redgates windows....

I miss the view across the valley at Tinsley before the "Road in the Sky" was built - At night the bright light from the open end of Tinsley Rolling Mills fascinated by the dexterity of the men who passed the strip through the rollers - In daylight the sight of Wincobank "castle" which I often vowed to visit but never did.

JOSEPHINES NIGHTCLUB - MONDAY NIGHTS IN THE 80'S WERE JUST THE BEST .....

coppers on pushbikes,the chestnut man in pond street,neighbours that would give you three pence for running errand. the old lady with the pinny on and hands like hams that would feed you if your mam wasnt home but would give you a clip round the ear if you were cheeky

coal fires on a winter night,tin can hand warmers,carts made from pram wheels,sneeking in the rex pictures through the back door.

football rattles,whitsuntide meetings in high hazels park,fixed wheel push bikes,working mens club trips to skeggy.

fliping the tram seats over at the terminus to go back into town,

long hot summers, water and bread and jam packed lunches for a day out in the woods,making dams on small streams,kite flying.

wrapping the hot plate out of the oven to put in a cold bed,bacon bones soup, and my mam

Days out at Rivelin and Millhouses, Paddling pool full of kids having a great time.Having a picnic consisting of a couple of slices of bread and drippin ,dry cos it was only wrapped in newspaper,no plastic bags then,and some lemonade. Short trouses an propper wellies wi oyels in em..Watchin steam trains go past and tryin to get the numbers..writing down the "namers" We dint need much money as long as we could get a pack of beech nut to share out. But we reit enjoyed oursens.Dozin off on the tram on the way home .Im a kid again:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:Dream on..:thumbsup:

I miss the 8/9 circular bus route. I can see why it was withdrawn: there was never anyone on it.

In student days, I once spent an afternoon on it going round the whole route, just to see where it went. Took hours!

Odd thing is, it connected up every place my gf and I ever lived and worked in the city.

The services were probably withdrawn ages ago. Today's the first morning we were going to use it again...

Edward Lees butchers at Hickmott Road, near Hunters Bar.

Began in the 1930s and until a few years ago run by his son Ian, I think he was called.

It was an excellent shop, not the cheapest but the quality was top-notch and there was always plenty of friendly banter.

Sausages were great, you used to have to put your eggs into boxes. I was a customer for than 20 year. Bought turkeys there at Christmas.

They used to supply meat to the Vicarage at Ridgeway, that's a mark of the quality of the produce.

Then the owner retired and sold on the business.

It traded for a couple of years but let's be honest, it's star waned completely.

Now it's gone and the premises is a fast food joint.

How very sad that a shop of genuine quality no longer exists

Originally posted by dishwasher

How very sad that a shop of genuine quality no longer exists

Do you not rate Roney's then?

I understand that the old Stonehouse pub has now closed, I'll miss it.

pberry - Yes I do rate Roneys. They really upped their game when Lees changed ownership a few years ago.

I guess that was one of the reasons - but not the only one - that led to Edward Lees closure.

Roney's old spot bacon is absolutely delicious. Not cheap, mind, but as close to bacon perfection as I've tasted.