What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Yes, I remember it. It was one of the first restaurants in the city. Soon after came many more, but up till then, Sheffield people didn't eat out much.

One thing I did used to enjoy in the 60s was walking to school on a cold winters morning and smelling all the smoke that was coming out of everybodys chimneys.

It used to blow all over the place on breezy days, it was a smell I used to actually look forward to.

I miss the Norfolk Market Hall with all the fresh flowers and the excellent Stamp shop in the middle.

Entering there was like entering a large cathredral but with a freshness which I cannot describe, maybe it was the flowers and the constant use of the stone water fountains by the florists

Philip Cann's music shop at the top of Dixon Lane. it had steep steps down into it, Big Ada had her stall almost in front of it.

The many 'Barrow Boys' who had their barrows precariously parked on the hill with their weighing scales dubiously balanced due to the incline, they brought the lane to life not lifeless as it is today.

There was the Broken Biscuit Company in the Hall but as kids we never bought them as we used to pinch Aniseed dog biscuits that stood in open sacks outside Oates Pet Shop outside the Hall.

The Cowshed's Pub underneath the Market with its polished copper covered round tables.

The Pet's corner in the Rag and Tag Market, The brass weighing scales, Edwards the Pot Man, Dixon's Boiled Spice just inside the market selling Lemon Drops, Spice Fish, Pear Drops and Humbugs.

Ormoids Magical Elixor a cure for all medical complaints.

Johnny (Cox's?) cheapest fruit and veg in the market near the doorway opposite South Street.

The huge 101 year old Rat that was caught when they pulled down the old wooden buildings of the fruit market.

Happy Days!

a conservative council

Going into Wilson Pecks and dreaming of owning a grand piano - sorted...well a baby grand is close enough ;)

The various clubs and pubs on a Saturday nights (early 80s) and during the weekdays with their theme nights. The town was buzzing..

Hanging around with mates up town.. Somehow, a group of people messing around did not seem threatening...

Loads of activities put on at the parks during the summer holidays...

i miss the hole in the road and that fishtank i used to love that as a kid an redgates whenever i was in town with my mum i would get her to take me in there 4 a look around and also roxys niteclub had some goodtimes there aswell

I miss:

Fishtank.

Definately Redgates.

Trying on hats in the old BHS.

Pubs being individual - you go in pubs now and all the menus are the same as the next pub and so is the decor, loud music. Boring.

Driving on roads without potholes.

I feel sad every time I drive past the old Jessops.

Did there used to be such a thing as a City Clipper bus??

One thing I would not miss though would be the markets being flattened. What an ugly eyesore. Full of chavs, cheap merchandise and foul mouthed people who spit and throw litter.

yer i know what u mean the old sheffield is the best untill they destoyed it all and i remember the city clipper bus used to be free to ride round town center