Council candidate changes alliegiance too late for a new approved candidate

As I see it, the ex Lib Dem candidate who has change his allegiance just pulled out. Unfortunate that the Libs didn't have time to nominate a replacement but its not the first time somebody has switched parties.

I must say that 'dirty tricks' is a little harsh and the only person who can reply to the accusation is Mr Hersi himself.

However Sarah1312, I do think it a tad childish to start such an aggressive thread whilst choosing not to bring to the readers attention your close involvement in all things party political :suspect:

And what does my involvement in all things party political got to do with this thread? I am interested in politics and yes I have a close connection too and if people need to know that then that is ok. I have started this thread as I found it a thing that people needed to know. I also added what I thought on the situation as this is what SF is all about.

If you wanted people to know about the retraction of Mr Hersi you could do that without the 'dirty tricks' title which is a tad tabloid don't you think?

Your political connections are very relevant to such a damning thread title. I have a great deal of time for Rubydazzler, we may have opposing views politically however she is quite happy to nail her colours to the mast and not post under the guise of 'public interest'.

The dangers of using quota before loyalty and possibly ability coming to the fore once more in politics.

It's happened with the Conservatives, not so dramatically, where someone has jumped ship on a whim to Labour once elected. There needs to be strong affiliation with the party for years, surely and obvious proof of loyalty as well as ability for candidates.

In the article Mr Hersi claims he decided not to stand as a candidate three months ago, but whoever it was from The Star who spoke to him didn't think it worthwhile to ask him why he left withdrawing his nomination until the last minute.

How very odd ! It's the obvious question most people would ask.

However Sarah1312, I do think it a tad childish to start such an aggressive thread whilst choosing not to bring to the readers attention your close involvement in all things party political :suspect:

You do realise that 'outing' posters real-life identities is clearly against Forum guidelines?

In the article Mr Hersi claims he decided not to stand as a candidate three months ago, but whoever it was from The Star who spoke to him didn't think it worthwhile to ask him why he left withdrawing his nomination until the last minute.

we are talking about the star here :hihi:

edit: I haven't outed anyone

If you wanted people to know about the retraction of Mr Hersi you could do that without the 'dirty tricks' title which is a tad tabloid don't you think?

Your political connections are very relevant to such a damning thread title. I have a great deal of time for Rubydazzler, we may have opposing views politically however she is quite happy to nail her colours to the mast and not post under the guise of 'public interest'.

Oh dear?! I never really had an interest in politics let alone local politics until I started to realise what a mess Labour are making of Sheffield (IMO).

I used the title I did because it is obvious that labour have done this to 'trick' the lib dems! If Mr Hersi "had differences with the leadership that were never resolved." then why oh why did he agree to stand when he was having these doubts 3 months beforehand?

Lets face it, Labour are scared this year! They have favoured areas and yes a labour cllr did confirm it in a full council and now they are pulling these sorts of tricks!

Others may think differently but to me it's a 'dirty trick'!

Oh and by the way if I have to wave my flag, I will be voting Lib Dems this year!

and most journalists too ... do they actually have any on the Star?

AM note

I've changed the title to reflect what has happened, and to de-politicize (nice new verb, eh!) the matter. Remember to keep it civil and within Forum rules everyone?

Do we know if Mr Hersi has actually joined The Labour Party?

Do we know if Mr Hersi has actually joined The Labour Party?

And if he did - when ??

He's wearing a nice red tie in that photograph :hihi:

No, I wouldn't. And certainly not under those circumstances.

Turncoat is not a word in my lexicon and neither is unreliable :D

I don't know any of the background to this but if this unfortunate individual has indeed made his mind up three months ago and then signed his election papers in the full knowledge that he didn't want to stand again, I'm glad he's out, and you're welcome to him!

It's almost 20 years since I tough a Politics segment of Design for Living/PCHED/whatever, but if he signed his papers knowing he didn't want to be a candidate, isn;t that fraud?