Route required...

Afternoon all,

Can anyone suggest a route for a nice steady 12 to 15 mile walk in and around the Peak District? Preferably not the Bakewell area as we have a 20 miler down there in about 3 weeks so don't really want to cover the same ground.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Cheers,

Marc

Also, while out on Higger Tor / Carl Walk yesterday we came across several fresh sheep carcasses that were immaculately stripped down to the bone, no blood or guts just clean bones and stripped fleece but with there heads intact and untouched... An idea what's eating them? It looked far to clinical to be dogs or foxes.

If you're wanting really steady, then the path around the reservoirs in the Upper Derwent Valley is a nice day out. From Fairholmes to Slippery Stones and back (round Derwent and Howden) is about 11 miles. If you add on the walk round Ladybower to the A57 then it's about 15 miles.

Assuming that you want circular, then there are plenty of other options that involve a bit of a climb. Starting from Edale, if you go up to Hollins Cross, along to Lose Hill down to Hope and then up round via Hope Cross and Jaggers Clough - that's a really nice walk that you can extend/shorten as you like. Or start from Castleton, go up Cavedale, round to Rushop Edge and over Mam Tor. Or you could park at Cutthroat Bridge and go up onto Derwent Edge.......the options are limitless. Give us a bit more of an idea in terms of terrain, transport etc and I'll try to dig out a few more.

If you're wanting really steady, then the path around the reservoirs in the Upper Derwent Valley is a nice day out. From Fairholmes to Slippery Stones and back (round Derwent and Howden) is about 11 miles. If you add on the walk round Ladybower to the A57 then it's about 15 miles.

Assuming that you want circular, then there are plenty of other options that involve a bit of a climb. Starting from Edale, if you go up to Hollins Cross, along to Lose Hill down to Hope and then up round via Hope Cross and Jaggers Clough - that's a really nice walk that you can extend/shorten as you like. Or start from Castleton, go up Cavedale, round to Rushop Edge and over Mam Tor. Or you could park at Cutthroat Bridge and go up onto Derwent Edge.......the options are limitless. Give us a bit more of an idea in terms of terrain, transport etc and I'll try to dig out a few more.

Thanks for the information, Ideally I'd like a circular walk... Any terrain will be fine as it's training for both the Yorkshire and National 3 Peaks.

Also, while out on Higger Tor / Carl Walk yesterday we came across several fresh sheep carcasses that were immaculately stripped down to the bone, no blood or guts just clean bones and stripped fleece but with there heads intact and untouched... An idea what's eating them? It looked far to clinical to be dogs or foxes.

Possibly birds of prey or carrion eaters like crows?!

If you're training for 3 peaks then it's probably useful to have a reasonable amount of vertical gain on the walk.

I'm not 100% sure on the distances for these, but here's a few more suggestions:-

Park at Birchin Clough and walk up to the Pennine Way, along to Hern Clough, Across to Grains of Sand, up to Alport Castles and then back to the car via Hayridge Farm.

Park at Birchin Clough, and walk up Fairbrook onto the North Edge of Kinder. Along the Edge to Ashop Head. Follow Pennine Way to Snake Pass, and then head back round to car.

Starting from Edale, head up the Pennine Way to Kinder Downfall. Across the top to Crowden Tower and then back down Grindsbrook. Probably a little bit shorter that you want, but a good workout.

I really like the walk from Edale, up to Rushop Edge, along to Lose Hill, down in to Hope, Up Win Hill and back round...but that may be a bit longer than you wanted!