The alpine man 1970's

Only just found this post. We had the Alpine man at pitsmoor, but strangely my other half did too - and he's from Leeds! We have another pop man delivering these days and when he first called it brought back memories of the Alpine lorry.

Alpine man!! memories of childhood in Crookes, mucky yellow flat bed lorry thing and pinappleade!!

We still have pop man on t'cross but not Alpine. My hubby cant do without Cream Soda - bright green in colour and he loves it.

Give me Volvic anyday.

We had Alpine, must have been late 60's early 70's, Colley Cres, Parson cross.

We had Alpine, must have been late 60's early 70's, Colley Cres, Parson cross.

That where we still have pop man Birty on t'cross. Colley!!

Alpine used to deliver pop around Handsworth mid 1970's to about mid 1980's after that we had Jones till about mid 90's

That where we still have pop man Birty on t'cross. Colley!!

Do you live on Colley Cresc? We were at No. 20, moved when I got married though in 1974. Had a run accross there a few weeks ago, it looked quite different with the trees on the field.

Yes, Birty!!! Love it. Can see your old house from my hall window, Green side door, next door but one to caravan man!!

Worked there for years upto the day they closed it down (Just before xmas 1998 ).

The people who mentioned the colour of the trucks where both right, When I started in 1988 they where just finishing re-painting them all. The original brown ones had a straight fonted text and I believe it was underlined then the line would go up and down and was meant to look like the Alps mountains.

The Bright Yellow livery used a more rounded font and had a big smiley face that was meant to be a gas bubble but looked more like the Acid smiley that was popular at the time.

When the company closed quite a few of the drivers continued there rounds using Osbornes Soft Drinks, I know at least 2 are still there.

The trick to carrying the bottles was to hang them by just under the top from between your fingers. Use your right hand to place one between each pair of fingers on your left hand with 2 between the last finger and thumb (5 in total). You can then lay more above these going up between your arm and your side. You would then lift 4 or 5 more off the ground with your right hand . This came in handy after the christmas hols when peeps where just returning there empties without buying anymore. Hurt like hell when you first started but once your fingers had been bent into shape in got much easier :)

i worked for alpine pop in the late 70s as a canvasser

Wages - £1 a day + 15p for every new weekly order of 3 bottles of pop:o

ps the limeade wasnt always limeade:gag:

The day the Alpine man came was always the highlight of the week. Bottles seemed huge when you were a kid and the colours were really bright, i used to love cream soda but i cant stand it now far too bloody sweet for me!

As a kid we thought we were drunk on there Shandy cus the label said it contained real beer NOT.

the American cream soda looked like dirty dish water.