The alpine man 1970's

Does anybody remember the alpine man?

A big lorry type vehicle used to turn up round our way (gleadless) on a thursday,i think (only used to see him on school hols) with crates of fizzy pop,he had young lads that worked on the lorry who's job it was to distribute the pop to various houses,was always impressed as a kid that they could carry two bottles of pop in one hand.

The prices if i remember was really cheap,something like 7p for big bottle,we always ended up with about five bottles,pineapple was my favourite.:)

Hi Deano, before they were called Alpine I think they were called S.Y.D.S. South Yorkshire Direct Supplies, and they always had a lorry full of pop, and a lot of different flavours.:thumbsup:

loads of exotic flavours or so it seemed to a young lad in the seventies:D seem to remember the lorries where yellow.

Guest bostonaire

ya saying about alpine.which i have fond memories of sitting on the door step guzzling a full bottle of dandelion and burdock on a hot day but does anyone remember "THE CORONA" POP DELIVERY SERVICE???? whatever happened to them? :D

Fond memories of Alpine deliveries in the Wincobank area circa 1974/5 come flooding back. Actually, I don't know why I say"fond"; the drinks, despite tasting delicious to my then untrained and unsophisticated palate, were probably quite dangerous. The lemonade was definately liquid nitrogen, and the fluorescent orangeade must be related to the defoliant unleashed upon North Vietnam by American bombers.

There used to be Cresta vans too selling Cresta (it's frothy man) and Liptons tea vans, but I've no idea what they sold.

Originally posted by glaham

There used to be Cresta vans too selling Cresta (it's frothy man) and Liptons tea vans, but I've no idea what they sold.

Coffee :P and still do :thumbsup:

Yeah, we had the Corona man - I'd never heard of the Alpine guy until my wife mentioned him recently. Apparently her mum used to quite fancy the one that came to their house - Stradbroke Road way.

Originally posted by glaham

Yeah, I loved Cresta, it was addictive and was frothy as it was portrayed.

Alpine I believe where still going recently but not sure if they exist now.

Does anybody remember the alpine man?

A big lorry type vehicle used to turn up round our way (gleadless) on a thursday,i think (only used to see him on school hols) with crates of fizzy pop,he had young lads that worked on the lorry who's job it was to distribute the pop to various houses,was always impressed as a kid that they could carry two bottles of pop in one hand.

The prices if i remember was really cheap,something like 7p for big bottle,we always ended up with about five bottles,pineapple was my favourite.:)

I used to work for first syds and then alpine and believe me if the lad could only carry two bottles in each hand he was no good

I used to work for first syds and then alpine and believe me if the lad could only carry two bottles in each hand he was no good

There was also Davenports, they used to deliver beer as well as pop, and I think ice cream, I THINK they had a garage in Upperthorpe.