Sign in to follow this  

Open doors

Recently on the (local) news, they suggested that even when we are at home we should keep our doors and windows closed and locked.

Is it just me who thinks this is an insane piece of advice? (Especially in weather like this).

I'm fairly lucky, maybe, cos I have a dog and a shared garden with friends, and we look out for each other (as do most of the street). But I simply wouldn't consider locking myself in and battening down the hatches - I only ever did that in Burngreave, lol.

Obviously you have to be sensible, and if you're going upstairs or can't see the open door you should close it...there's no need to be stupid about it. But is there really a need to suggest people should make themselves prisoners in their own homes?

If its boiling hot ..then I keep my windows open when I'm in bed asleep. I only lock my doors when I'm out...but I also have an alarm to prevent thieves from breaking in :D

Have always locked door whether in or out. But then again I have been burgled 3 times which could have something to do with it! Have previously lived in bigger houses where you couldn't hear the back door open if you were upstairs, so it's just easier to get into the habit of locking it all the time.

Don't feel like a prisoner as it's easily unlockable!! Never had a problem with windows, though you should be careful. Friend of mine was sat in the living room of her house last week, she'd ot the windows open (the larger ones that form art of the bay) and someone started climbing in! In broad daylight!

V worrying!

Usually keep the doors locked and windows open as we have prickly shrubs under all the windows we keep open.

A friend of mine was decorating and had the front door open, went for a pee and came back to find all his music equipment gone. Another drove back from the airport in his beemer, arrived home, went in with the first suitcase and a thief just followed him in, took the car keys from the hall table and drove off.

I could go on with other stories but can't be arsed.

I know. And I know that some neighbours of mine had stuff taken in the same way - someone sneaking in the open door when they were upstairs...

But I really do resent having to consider locking myself in. Which is pointless I know - it won't go away - but even so.

I guess I'll just have to be prepared...one angry dog, one large bf, and a 4 cell maglite just waiting for the first uninvited person to stick their bonce through my door:evil:

I think you've just got use common sense and think like a burglar would - there's lots of oppurtunists about who if they see an open door/window just can't resist. And some people just don't think twice about sniffing about your property.

When I lived in Meersbrook I'd gone to work but my girlfriend was still in. These lads were trying to kick the flat door down for five minutes in broad daylight, and had a stolen car parked outside with their baby in the back. I've been burgled when I've been asleep by somebody lobbing a brick through the front door to get to the lock.

I always lock my doors even when I am in, and shut all my windows when I go out, even though where I live is virtually crime free. Anyone who does less is asking to be burgled.

And the advice, to protect your home and possessions is so obvious, that people should not have to be told, dare I say it: to do otherwise is stupid!!!

xxxxxxxxxxx