Le Marrakech restaurant review in west 1, Sheffield

<postexpired>

Edited by alexnollent

May I ask how old you are?

How long did "it" take you to write this report on what "it" was like?

Did you read your report before you posted "it".

:P

Thanks Alex.

I should just warn you that you're going to get a steady stream of negative comments. There's nothing so much fun as shooting the messenger. See threads started by foodcritic for examples.

Not sure what the relevance of the original poster's age is...do you hang around on the forum looking for posts to make pointless comments about?

The couscous "will" taste fairly moroccan, as it's a North African staple...

I had the veggy couscous the other week at the forum meet there, and although I thought it was a bit dear for what it was (a bowl of couscous, and some vegetables on top) it was very tasty, and enjoyable.

I think I'd have preferred the proportions to have been less couscous and more veg, as the meal was served. It was nice though.

Even to me, as a vegetarian, the other forummers' (meat) meals looked and smelled very nice too.

im only 12! You could be a bit nicer!

A good simple review, tells you about the restaurant and the food, that's all that's required.

My other half and I ate at Le Marrakech back in Dec very soon after it opened. Maybe it was because it was new but we were very unimpressed. The menu was so small that there was practically no choice (and we are very unpicky!) My starter (can't remember what it was called but involved prawns) was chewy and virtually tasteless. I had chicken tagine for main which was basically just a whole chicken breast covered in sauce - the sauce was nice but again, the chicken was totally tasteless. Boyfriend had meatball type things for starter - tasty enough but cold. His main was couscous with some kind of seafood - again, slightly lacking in the taste category. The portions were quite generous and the staff were pleasant and attentive but it is a shame the food wasn't of higher quality. As I say we went back when they were new and weren't impressed enough to go back but I would be prepared to give them another try if others really do feel they've picked up their act...

Le Marrakech Restaurant Review

On the 12th of April 2008, I went to a Moroccan restaurant called 'Le Marrakech'. It is located in west one in Sheffield.

As it was a Moroccan restaurant it was a grand design. It had Chandeliers which were dressed in all sorts of jewels. It also had fine, Moroccan tapestry hanging from the walls. It had many variations of wine. But there was a down side, on the ceiling, there were giant air vents which were grey which I thought was a bit intimidating.

The menu was small but it had some nice dishes. For starters, I chose the merguez. It didn't take long to come and when it came it looked beautiful. It was well prepared. There were about 5 merguez on the plate with a side of salad, salsa and chilli. The waiter described the chilli to me as "Very, very hot!" The merguez was some of the best I've ever tasted! It was succulent, juicy and my favourite, spicy! The only bad thing was that the salsa was cold. Apart from that, it was great!

For main course, I ordered a deep fried poisson dish. On the menu, it said "deep fried seafood" and that was what it was! It came to my plate in no time in a beautiful ceramic bowl. It had deep fried anchovies, deep fried prawns, deep fried everything! My favourite was the deep fried calamari. But once again there was a down side. The char grilled salmon had no flavour at all. Even when I dipped it in the salsa and squeezed lemon over it, it still was tasteless. When I had finished the fish on top, it revealed a heap load of cous-cous. The cous-cous was very Moroccan. It also had little potatoes in which were very well done.

'Le Marrakech' is worth visiting if you like spicy, tender food. But if you want a lot of flavour, I would go somewhere else. In conclusion I give 'Le Marrakech'

7/10.

By Alex Nollent

Watch this sapce for more sheffield restaurant reviews!

moroccan food is top notch but not as good as iranian

lol

My other half and I ate at Le Marrakech back in Dec very soon after it opened. Maybe it was because it was new but we were very unimpressed. The menu was so small that there was practically no choice (and we are very unpicky!) My starter (can't remember what it was called but involved prawns) was chewy and virtually tasteless. I had chicken tagine for main which was basically just a whole chicken breast covered in sauce - the sauce was nice but again, the chicken was totally tasteless. Boyfriend had meatball type things for starter - tasty enough but cold. His main was couscous with some kind of seafood - again, slightly lacking in the taste category. The portions were quite generous and the staff were pleasant and attentive but it is a shame the food wasn't of higher quality. As I say we went back when they were new and weren't impressed enough to go back but I would be prepared to give them another try if others really do feel they've picked up their act...

Thats a bit of a concern for a Moroccan restaurant. The whole point about tagine is that it has so many complex flavours and slowly cooks for a couple of hours. If its tastless then its certainly not authentic.

I wanted to try this place but not so sure now.

I have to say this restaurant was a total disappointment to me, I was delighted when I heard that a Moroccan place had opened in Sheffield after having sampled some of the best food ever in Marracech & Essoiura a few years ago. I had lamb tagine the first time which was tasteless, very watery and swimming in oil. My friend had the bastilla which was far too large for one person and very dry. Our white wine was not very chilled either.

The 2nd time I went (as part of a group, celebrating one of my friend's birthday so not my choice of venue as had decided not to go back again) and was equally disappointed.

Such a shame.

moroccan food is top notch but not as good as iranian

lol

I LOVE Iranian food. IS there anywhere in Sheffield that serves it?