Greystones sec mod school

David A E Evans (effects)?

I can't see a male teacher on the list but maybe it was just the pupils who signed it.

Shame I can't upload a scan of the cast list.

Bob

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 14:24 ----------

I should have realised from your login ID that it is David A. C. Evans.

I have photographed the inside cover and sent it to the Sheffield Telegraph to see if any-one else remembers it but primarily so you can see it if they upload it.

www sheffieldtelegraph co uk

I can't include a web link so replace the spaces with a dot.

I don't know if they will notify me if they do use it but if I see it posted I will let you know.

Bob

I was at Greystones 1941 - 1944- this is a test having problems posting - more to follow

---------- Post added 09-10-2015 at 16:20 ----------

Continuation - problem solved. My school days at Greystones were from 1941-1944/5 and a number of the teachers mentioned for the 50s were also there in the early 40s (and some were not all that young then). Mr Reeman (head), the terrible twins (not identical) Miss Hopwood & Miss Baxter plus others. We from time to time got one over on Miss Hopwood in music class by singing with great gusto the wrong but similar sounding words to songs. She was surprised but delighted how well the awkward squad joined in the singing on those occasions. If only she knew! Talking of ‘gusto’ that was the name of a very good team ball game played in sports lessons (one ‘house’ against another-I was in Howards) supervised by Mr Morgan. The woodwork teacher at that time was Mr Pollard – our name for him was ‘Drolls’- roughly his name spelt backwards. When he wanted the class to gather round him while he demonstrated some fascinating woodworking technique then his codename for that manoeuvre was just simply ‘forwards’. I still have a very good stool I made in class. On his retirement speech he revealed that he was always fully aware of our name for him. He was slightly eccentric but I liked him. Miss Bainbridge was a very nice young teacher-unfortunately I was never in any of the classes she taught. In 1944 a flying fortress American plane crashed in Endcliffe Park – some of we pupils from the school saw that – a grim scene. Finally a plug – if anyone can give any information to my thread on long gone Brincliffe Tennis Club then I would be most interested to have details.

Hi katedave. God, That's a blast from the past. What form were you in? I was also in Mrs Harrison's class but I don't remember your name. She made me sit right at the front of the class next to Francis Fairbrother, he was always playing pocket billiards. Dirty little tyke. I used to go out with Dougie Stevenson. He was mates with Derek Marriott. We used to knock about together. Do you remember Christine Marsh and Kath Fowler. Kath was a year younger than me. I remember Joan Titman, she certainly lived up to her name. She was head girl and she knocked about with Arlene Richardson if you remember. Once had a row with Mrs Harrison. Joan Titman (teachers pet), Arlene Richardson and me forgot our homework and she wanted to put me in detention but was only going to give the other two lines so I refused to do the detention unless they did it as well. Needless to say I got the lines instead. Did you go up from St.Silas? I went from Pomona Street. My name was Janet Whiting back then. I remember Brian Fowden's name. Nice to be in touch though. Thanks for the memories.

hi hi I went to graystones 62 63 not to sure but remember some of the names being said did not school at all but funny have fond mems of graystones my names david humberstone

Janber

My great grandfather, John Whitaker, ran the Vine Tavern in the 1880's. My grandmother, Sarah Whitaker, was born in 7 Hogdson Street. She was born in 1884. Do you know of any other pictures of the Vine Tavern other than the one on the Sheffield web site? Thank you.

JohnR0836 from New Jersey

Edited by Johnr0836

Hi Janber i dont know if you were in the same year as myself what i do remember is that on my last day of school a few of the previous years pupils came up to cause trouble i remember the school bell being stolen from out of the bell tower and taken down to Endcliffe park and hung from a tree for a while until it was thrown into the boating pond also mr Grenville's car tyres were let down outside the science classroom you mentioned mr Roy Turley OBE he was my favorite teacher ( sports ) he got his OBE for services to teaching in the Norfolk area he also played for Sheffield's no 1 club the BLADES for a while i was at an age when the only thing that fascinated me at school was miss Hornsby's breasts i seem to think i was sent to Aizlewood for the slipper more times than i can remember for staring at her bosom i wouldnt call it DAY DREAMING more like fantasizing i too loved playing Doctors & Nurses but my Nurses were Linda Batty, Elaine Dewsnap & Gloria Bailey HAPPY DAYS :roll: .

HI hi I remember Elaine dewsnap and brother ron she was good looking girl did Gloria have ginger hair my memory not that good my names dave humberstone

I can't beieve this thread is eight years old. Good to know there are still forummers who remember the scholl. I bought a book a while ago about Greystones it went back before my time, but there was a section I was in.

HI hi I remember Elaine dewsnap and brother ron she was good looking girl did Gloria have ginger hair my memory not that good my names dave humberstone

I was there from 58 - 62 and seem to recall your name, I was in Mrs Harrisons class. I also remember miss Hornsea, she always seemed to sit on the edge of her desk. some of the other teachers I can remember were Mr Morris ,Mr Renshaw. My name then was Sheila Smith and

i lived on Ecclesall Road

I was there from 58 - 62 and seem to recall your name, I was in Mrs Harrisons class. I also remember miss Hornsea, she always seemed to sit on the edge of her desk. some of the other teachers I can remember were Mr Morris ,Mr Renshaw. My name then was Sheila Smith and

i lived on Ecclesall Road

HI hi Sheila I lived on renton street just of ecclesall I remember Sheila dove but not your name moved to graystones from st silas . dave

hi hi I went to graystones 62 63 not to sure but remember some of the names being said did not school at all but funny have fond mems of graystones my names david humberstone

I remember you David, did you have a brother?

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 22:24 ----------

I wonder if you Jennifer Johnson still reads these posts? If so it would be nic to hear more from you

I remember you David, did you have a brother?

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 22:24 ----------

I wonder if you Jennifer Johnson still reads these posts? If so it would be nic to hear more from you

hi hi Sheila yep have a brother thy call him terry 9 years older than me still lives in Sheffield I left 27 years ago go back 2/3 times year see my son lives in deepcar dave

hi hi Sheila yep have a brother thy call him terry 9 years older than me still lives in Sheffield I left 27 years ago go back 2/3 times year see my son lives in deepcar dave

my brother David Smith had a friend called David Humberston I wonder if you are the same one?

HI hi can remember a david smith lived down below star pictures in a yard across from a corner shop on renton steet my gran was allways stood on corner looking for me dave