Greystones sec mod school

Hi Jack. I left Christmas 1959. Was in Mrs Harrisons class at the time. I remember we were the first year to be banned from having a fourth year party as previous years had. We were very disgruntled to put it mildly. Quite a few of the class still took records though and persuaded me to fetch my record player at lunchtime. Always up for a bit of a rebellion I fetched it and of course, as was normal I was the only one who got hauled over the coals for disobeying. I didn't care. I'd already got a reputation for being bolshy (unfounded I may add) and I was leaving anyway so what the hell!! Old Aizelwood never even gave me my last leaving report.

Mr Turley took us for Art. I didn't know he had played for the BLADES. Definitely Sheffields No.1 Club. Do you remember Derek Pace, goalie Alan Hodgkinson and was it the Shaw brothers. Not too sure about the last. UP THE BLADES.

Hi Thorpy. I think the Greystones Grammar School you're on about is probably the same as our Secondary Modern. Before Sheffield went comprehensive in 1957. to get to Greystones Sec Mod you had to have something like a b pass on your eleven plus. Not quite good enough for Grammar school. I think in 1957 the old council schools (where you went from start to finish) merged, and the seniors all went to Greystones in our area. We merged with Pomona st., St. Mathias, St. Silas and Carterknowle rd. Hope that helps.

Hi Jack. I left Christmas 1959. Was in Mrs Harrison's class at the time. I remember we were the first year to be banned from having a fourth year party as previous years had. We were very disgruntled to put it mildly. Quite a few of the class still took records though and persuaded me to fetch my record player at lunchtime. Always up for a bit of a rebellion I fetched it and of course, as was normal I was the only one who got hauled over the coals for disobeying. I didn't care. I'd already got a reputation for being bolshy (unfounded I may add) and I was leaving anyway so what the hell!! Old Aizlewood never even gave me my last leaving report.

Mr Turley took us for Art. I didn't know he had played for the BLADES. Definitely Sheffield's No.1 Club. Do you remember Derek Pace, goalie Alan Hodgkinson and was it the Shaw brothers. Not too sure about the last. UP THE BLADES.

Back again Janber You left Greystones before me the players you mention were my heroes i was there when promotion was gained against Derby night game 60/61 season up to the old 1st division Roy Turley (OBE) signed part time on 20th July 1953 until 30th June 1955 he only played one game against Barnsley on the 26th Oct 1954 in the old County Cup BLADES won 1-0 Graham Shaw was the landlord of the Sportsman Denby st for quite a few years got to know him well Bernard Shaw played for both BLADES & PIGS the great Joe Shaw was not related to the brothers even though i now live in the W/Midlands i am still a season ticket holder and travel up to all the home games UTB.

Hi Thorpy. I think the Greystones Grammar School you're on about is probably the same as our Secondary Modern. Before Sheffield went comprehensive in 1957. to get to Greystones Sec Mod you had to have something like a b pass on your eleven plus. Not quite good enough for Grammar school. I think in 1957 the old council schools (where you went from start to finish) merged, and the seniors all went to Greystones in our area. We merged with Pomona st., St. Mathias, St. Silas and Carterknowle rd. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that Janber, I didn't realise that. Do any of you old Greystones pupils remember David Wild? He was two or three years older than me and used to live on our road when we were kids.

T.

Hi Thorpy, sorry, the name David Wild doesn't ring any bells. I left Christmas 1959.

Hi Jack, not been to a football match since 1959. Me and my mate Elaine always used to stand behing the goal at the John Street end (I think) Never missed a match that year. I think it was 1959 when they were playing Watford we were selling programmes. After I left school I got into other things and football fell by the wayside. I still support their Lottery though.

Mrs Harrison

Mr Grenville

Mrs Marsden

Mr Morgan

Mr Wragg

Mr Watson

Mrs McDonald

Mr Renshaw

Miss Howson

Mr Newton

Mr Turley

Miss Hartley

Mrs Robinson (school sec)

yep remember them all,ken watson & marjorie harrison were the best teachers.

I attended Greystones Infants and Middle school from about 1967 until 1974

well after you unfortunately so dont remember any of the people mentioned.

Just a question though was Mr Brown still the head teacher then?

In the 50's &60's they were 2 seperate schools the infant & junior were both in the Tullibardine road building The secondary school was on the corner of Tulli & Greystones rd,I was there 1955 1962 Mr brown became headmaster during that time he retired in the mid to late 70's whilst my children were there

I attended Greystones from 58 to 62. I then went on to Granville College.

I remember Albert Price, Janice Reed who was in my class in 3rd year. Other names that come to mind are: Sylvia Bolton, Sandra Raynes, Jean Liversidge, Wendy Hudson, Eileen Sygrove also Tina Cullen and Janette Glossop who were in the year above me. Michael Bradshaw (head boy) a year below me.

I enjoyed my 4 years there. The teachers I was most impressed by were Miss Hornsey, Mrs Harrison who was at first our music teacher then became the sewing teacher - Mrs Marsden who taught us Geography. Does anybody remember the young music teacher all the boys were crazy about (I think she was from South Africa) who taught there in 1961/2. Didn't like Mr Grenville thought he was a bit of a bully - spent my life in detention from him.

as i said early on this thread Greystone was a very fine school 1943 was so far ahead of the other one's, very fond memory and the very thought of letting boys and girls sit side by side in the same class made one think you was in the U.S

Think you have got the teachers mixed up? Mrs Harrison taught geography,Mrs Marsden was music. Mrs McDonald was the sewing teacher. some of the girls you mentioned were in my class!!