Banksy - scum or genius?

So Is Banksy Scum Or Genuis?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. So Is Banksy Scum Or Genuis?

• Scum
    • Genuis

Im not poorly informed in any way,trust me.There is no Skill,anyone can do stencils,try some proper graff and there's the challenge.

And still,noone has even answered me.

Well actually I did, but as you obviously didn't like the response, where I pointed out diffuculty of execution is irrelevent to worthyness, so you simply ignored the post.

Oh and 'simpler' designs can be much harder to get right, a cabinet maker friend commented that modern furniture is much harder to get right than more traditional detailed work and in fact the fancy details usually disguised the bad workmanship.

I'm a photographer and no-one cares how tricky it was for me to get a shot or how long I spent setting it up or how complicated the lighting was, all that matters is - is it any good?

Any of me or my friends could produce a stencil,probably one with more 'wit' or 'meaning' than any of banksys,we choose to not to because its the easy way out.
Or cannot. More than likely you haven't got the ideas, the wit or the imagination, to make art like Banksy. :P The fact that he uses stencils [sometimes] is not actually that relevent. It's the ideas and the concepts that capture people's imagination. Seeing another tired and cliched copy of 1970s NY subway graffitti is just boring.

If your work is so good, let us know where some is. I like to photography good graffiitti.

Have you ever seen my work?if not i doubt you can comment on how artistic or skillfull it is.His work is in no way more advanced than mine,but for some reason you people think that,strange.

Your still missing my point ****!It is hypocritical to say its alright a banksy stencil being there and not just a tag.And noone can deny that.

Any of me or my friends could produce a stencil,probably one with more 'wit' or 'meaning' than any of banksys,we choose to not to because its the easy way out.

i'd rather see something that makes me think and provokes conversation rather than a big word that says FISTA or whatever stupid name you pick for yourself no-matter how good the letter forms or can control are. On the other hand i like the stuff by kid acne and phlegm which is not stencil but it IS original. the skill is coming up with something original, can you say that you have?

If I caught the arrogant sod painting on my house, he'd have to learn to paint with another part of his anatomy..., which would be appropriate, because I would have inserted his spray can/brush where the sun doesn't shine.

His vandalism may be of a slightly, and I mean slightly, higher standard than the usual daubs, but he encourages other scum to vandalise because they are wannabees.

Coming back to the Banksy argument, I understand and appreciate the skill in Phlegm's graffiti work, and his work inside Plug. However, I much prefer his comic book work, which has some wonderfully funny and sharp moments.

Similarly, I wasn't much of a fan of Kid Acne's work until I saw the sort of things he does outside the graffiti world.

A lot of graffiti to me is the equivalent of "having a design w*nk", as David Bailey put it once. There's nothing 'wrong' with that, but if it looks great and has some meaning, well, even better.

A lot of graffiti to me is the equivalent of "having a design w*nk", as David Bailey put it once..

bloody brilliant

Personally, I think he's got an illness, as has anyone who can't help themselves deliberately destroy and deface anyone's personal property (and that applies to public buildings).

It's not art; never was, never will be.

Artists display their work in art galleries or elsewhere. This form of painted vomit brings down an entire region, making it look ugly and feel dangerous. I have been a victim of this illness on countless occasions. I have had to pay to get it removed only to have it daubed on my personal property again. It is an attack on the person and should be treated as such.

I care not what it's called, be it tagging or grafitti. To me it's the same mess.

In the UK one can expect the likes of 'Banksy' to become a celebrity. In other countries he'd be locked up and that's firmly where he belongs.

Rarely do I agree with every single word of a post....but this is one instance when I do.

He obviously has a talent of sorts but you would not necessarily want him living in your neighbourhood though would you.

Of course i can do stencils jezzy.thats what i was getting at,there to easy.Take a look at the mount pleasant park basketball courts to check out some good graffiti.And when it comes to graffiti,it really is easy to make a stencil,and really hard to paint a piece that looks good.

Making.... Easy.... Part....

Ideas.... Hard.... Part....

He obviously has a talent of sorts but you would not necessarily want him living in your neighbourhood though would you.

Spot on, while I can appreciate the guy has some talent, you certainley wouldn't want one of his peices daubed on the side of your house would you?