Wedding venue and reception suggestions - post in here

Appreciate there's an older thread by someone already asking this, but as it didnt really get answered, thought I'd ask for myself. Has anyone had their wedding/reception at the Sitwell Arms in Renishaw? My fiancé and I have it booked for a meal and evening do later in the year, and we’ve had two really different visits to it.

The first time, we looked round and it seemed attractive, friendly, nice outside area, the menus and arrangements they’d make all sounded good, and they were free when we wanted it at relatively short notice, so we booked it. We went more recently for their wedding fayre and it was just a bit underwhelming really, seemed a bit dull and tatty, indifferent service and expensive.

I don’t doubt that the first time we were caught up in the excitement of it all, and the second time we were probably over-critical, so I just wondered if anyone who has had a “do” there could tell me their experience of it? Thanks!

I've only attended a wedding in the upstairs room and it was lovely, we liked it so much that we have booked it for our wedding next year.. it has lovely grounds for pictures and although they can do 2 weddings on the same day the 2 never meet.... The food is also nice. I'd suggest that you have a meeting with their wedding coordinator and discuss everything with them. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

Has anyone been to a wedding reception at Elsecar Heritage Centre, near Barnsley? I'm just curious as to which part of the centre they use? Is it the big warehouse-type place? The venue comes up on some wedding venue directories but their website doesn't mention wedding receptions so I'd appreciate any info people might have.

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has got hitched at, or been to a wedding in the Grain Loft at Wood Lane in Stannington?

We've been for a look round and we really like the look of the place for a small, informal wedding reception, but I'm just wondering if anyone had any problems with the layout?

My main concern is the fact that a large proportion of both our families are smokers, and you have to go downstairs to get to the gardens/smoking area, so the last thing I want is the kids and the elderly guests sitting upstairs around a deserted dancefloor, and all the smokers camped outside, especially if the weather is nice!

Any comments or feedback greatly appreciated!

We recently got married at Kenwood Hall, Sheffield. My advice and personnel opinion would be not to book it for your wedding day. The staff on the day of our wedding were superb. The two young men who handled our day although looked young were very professional and friendly as were the bar staff etc. Unfortunately we had a few problems with customer service after originally booking the wedding, once they had got our deposit, they were not bothered about it being our special day! all that they promise when they show you round goes out the window really. There was no customer service at all. I had to ring to actually find out when they would be in contact, when to pay, what time scale they need things, they changed the wedding co-ordinator whom we had originally dealt with and never made us aware, so we didn't know who to contact. I was in tears a number of times because of their lack of professionalism but could not cancel because we would loose our deposit. They tried to charge us for the bridal suite which in my opinion should be included in the price considering the cost(we eventually got it included after I complained about numerous things I had been unhappy with). When we went to view the kenwood suite a couple of times after we had booked it was filthy, with pots still left in the kitchen from previous events, although they have now re furnished the room I believe. The food was lovely on the day, but unfortunately I got food poisoning which started the day after the wedding, cannot definately say it was from the wedding breakfast though!? We wanted to take our own wine as a friend of ours was providing it, and the corkage was daylight robbery! Even though we were already spending alot of money there. The vegetarian option at the evening buffet ending up having meat in it! There has been no after service at all, and are still having a few problems with the venue post wedding!!! In my opinion it is a money grabbing hotel chain, which in all honesty you wouldn't mind paying alot of money for the best day of your life as long as the service matched what your paying. We had the most amazing day oh and the grounds were lovely, but it was made by our friends and family only not by Kenwood Hall. I think there are other venues in Sheffield which would offer a lot better service. I appreciate they have alot of satisfied customers too and mine experience may be a one off, but thought it might benefit a few brides to be who are venue hunting

ps Cherish Media did our wedding video... (seen on above posting) and they were outstanding!!!! very highly recommended, when ever I watch the video(which is very often) its like being back in our wedding day!

Wortley Hall is a magical place to hold a wedding. There are so many nooks and crannies that you will be spoilt for choice. If you want to see some images I have taken of weddings there, I will be more than happy to show you.

Do you already have a photographer?

My other half and I have almost settled on Wortley Hall as our wedding venue. Is there anyone out there that can tell us about their experiences there, good or bad?

Hi, we've been to two weddings there, one prior to the refurb of the main evening reception area and one after. Both were fantastic, lovely place, all the guests had a fab time, the staff were friendly, the food was great and the drinks were reasonable. Really can't recommend them enough, if it hadn't been for our friends (bestman and bridesmaid) getting married there we would have booked it ourselves. (She also nicked the colour I wanted for the bridesmaid dresses!)

Have also been there for a walk and dine evening and again it was fab, great choice of venue and from what our friends have said nothing was too much trouble. Hope you have a fab wedding xx

Just got married at East Lodge, Rowsley. A beautiful venue for a summer wedding and lovely staff.

If your looking for somewhere with acres of landscaped gardens, a beautiful traditional country house with outstanding food, lots of atmosphere with wonderful staff please have a look at Whirlowbrook Hall or it's sister venue the Maynard in Grindleford.

The Maynard is a boutique hotel with a stunning ballroom to accomodate 120 guests, with on site accomodation for your guests in the rolling hills of derbyshire.

We've just launched some excellent value midweek packages for weddings Sunday - Thursday for £4000.00.

We still have some availability for Winter 2010 and a few prime Summer Saturdays in 2011 with lots of other date options if your more flexible!

Have a look at our websites for some images whirlowbrookhall.co.uk & themaynard.co.uk

If you fancy coming to have a look around and chat over a cup of tea please don't hesitate to contact us for an appointment.

Many Thanks

Hannah, Emma & Kate

The Wedding Planners

Whirlowbrook Hall & The Maynard

P.S Good luck with the planning everyone!!!

We got married at Tankersley Manor near Barnsley, Amazing in every single way.

We paid 4000 for 80 Day Guests and 130 at Night on a Sunday

I'm not from Sheffield and even though I've lived here for 10 years I'm wanting to know nice places to get married that are of a reasonable price.

My first option was Beauchief Abbey but after looking into it, it seems trickier than a normal church.

Also it doesn't have to be a church, but just don't want to do it in the registery office.

what ever you do don have your reception at hillsborough sports arena, we had our engagement party ther this wkend and they ballsed it all up!!