Lancaster Bomber, Derwent Dams.

Does anyone know how often they do these flypasts? Are they every 5 years? I'm absolutely gutted I can't make it tomorrow. Need to give a year's notice to book a lieu day in our office

No guarantee, but they'll probably try to do it again for the 75th Anniversary - assuming the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight can be preserved that long. It's fragile and costly to maintain.

No guarantee, but they'll probably try to do it again for the 75th Anniversary - assuming the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight can be preserved that long. It's fragile and costly to maintain.

Thanks for the reply mate. Aye, I imagine is does cost a fair whack to maintain! I was thinking of going to the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre to look at the Lancaster. They charge £260 for a taxy in the thing, so I dread to think how much it would cost to go for a flight!

The one at East Kirkby doesn't fly. Went there last bank holiday and its a great afternoon out. Not really enough there for the whole day but it has some great stuff in there.

You can get very close to it for the taxi and it powers up to maybe 3/4 throttle when its on the field. Well worth it.

The other is maintained by the RAF at Conningsby along with the rest of the Battle of Britain flight. You can pay to go round the hanger, the time I went on a weekday my son and were the only ones in there.

Check their timetable before you go or you might turn up when they are all out!

Thursday 16 May - Lancaster

...Taking my 87year old Mum who used to be a mechanic on Lancasters and Hurricanes ... had the joy of revving the engines (whilst still on the ground) to ensure they were ticking over nicely.

I will be proud to stand by her .. and I am sure I will shed a few tears. No video from me as all you will hear is my snotty crying, but hopefully at least one good pic.

Give her a hug from me - I'm sure we're all grateful for the contribution she and her colleagues made during the war.

Give her a hug from me - I'm sure we're all grateful for the contribution she and her colleagues made during the war.

Hear hear!

I'll be going up today. Be the first time I've managed to make it. Incredible machines from an incredible era.

---------- Post added 16-05-2013 at 09:53 ----------

can anyone tell me if the road upto Howden will be open after this flyby of Derwent, ime thinking about 3pm, will it be opened back up by that time ?

Under the General Public part of the following link, it says...

- The road up from Fairholmes to Derwent Dam will be closed to ALL traffic on the day.

- The road from the A57 to Fairholmes may be closed if it becomes overly busy such that access to emergency vehicles etc is compromised.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=8E10E1EE-5056-A318-A86328F1CC0D6928

Is anybody going by public transport from sheffield who I can meet. Really want to see this but not sure on where im going.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Is anyone taking a decent camera, will they post up some nice pictures for us lot stuck at work??

If I get there in time and dont get lost ill upload some pics.

You're leaving it a bit late :-)

Just follow the crowds. I predict it will be heaving with major delays on the

A57 and people having to walk from miles away.

Good luck and look forward to the photos.

Whats the weather like up there? I'm working in Cambridge at the moment and its glorious sunshine here :-)

PLEASE PLEASE DO.....proper gutted I'm working...gutted.:(

Just watched the video on BBC as could not attend, what a beautiful sight and such majesty, truly awesome that 70 years on it still flies.

Just got back, lovely to watch and I couldn't believe how busy it was.