Lancaster Bomber, Derwent Dams.

I thought the news coverage and later programme were brilliant.

This type of thing shouldn't be forgotten. The pilot today said that they were flying at 200 feet at their lowest, in day light. Those young pilots flew at 60 feet, IN THE DARK, and whilst being shot at. Unbelievable skill and bravery. Wallis's daughter said he never forgave himself for the 53 that didn't come back.

I hope some young 'ens of today put their X-Boxes down for a moment and saw the footage. It could have been them had they been born earlier.

Agree with all of this.

So many lives lost it should never be a CELEBRATION as some called it, but it should never be forgotten. Would I have the nerve to fly like this, aiming with a glorified torch and two sticks?

And would you have dared to get into the rear gun turret and be a Tail End Charlie?

TailEndCharlie_IGP7725

great pics and videos thanks for posting.

I thought the news coverage and later programme were brilliant.

This type of thing shouldn't be forgotten. The pilot today said that they were flying at 200 feet at their lowest, in day light. Those young pilots flew at 60 feet, IN THE DARK, and whilst being shot at. Unbelievable skill and bravery. Wallis's daughter said he never forgave himself for the 53 that didn't come back.

I hope some young 'ens of today put their X-Boxes down for a moment and saw the footage. It could have been them had they been born earlier.

WOW,keppels column is only 115 feet high.:o

WOW,keppels column is only 115 feet high.:o

I know, I've just doubted myself and gone to check it. It's less than 10 times my own height! :shocked:

From wiki:

by which time Wallis had specified that the bomb must be dropped at "precisely" 60 feet (18 m) above the water and 232 miles per hour (373 km/h) groundspeed, with back-spin at 500 rpm: the bomb "bounced seven times over some 800 yards, sank and detonated".[14]

:shocked:

And a Tornado

TornadoTrail_IGP7770

Edited by Squiggs

Just got back, weather was fantastic considering, lovely walk from Strines past Lost Lad, busy but not so busy a vantage point wasn't easy to find.

Not sorted all the photos out yet, going for a pint of Lancaster Bomber in my local in a few minutes, but here's a quick photo of the main attraction

Lancaster_IGP7712

That is just amazing!

One of the things that struck me..(never seen a Lancaster before up close)

We think of "Heavy Bombers" as behemoths.

By today's standards the Avro Lancaster is quite small and fragile. To fly that, under heavy fire, to such precision. Amazing.

One of the things that struck me..(never seen a Lancaster before up close)

We think of "Heavy Bombers" as behemoths.

By today's standards the Avro Lancaster is quite small and fragile. To fly that, under heavy fire, to such precision. Amazing.

What amazes me with the Lancaster (definitely up there as my favourite aircraft) is how it carries enough fuel! 4xV12 Roller engines to power?! And its range is over 2000 miles.

We had a great time. Unfortunately, like the hubby mentioned I got stuck in traffic at the side of Ladybower. But turned out for the best. Had a great view. Guttered I left my really camara in the boot. But impressed with ones on my I phone. My little girl loved it. Great afternoon out xxx

A great day out and proud to be present and see an amazing flypast. Thanks to all concerned and for posting your photos and videos.

A sad downside to a wonderful occasion was seeing traffic wardens slapping tickets on vehicles for no other reason than parking on grass verges.