CouchSurfing, would you/have you done it?

I'm not talking kipping on your mates' sofa for a few nights, i'm talking about the website that organises it internationally.

http://www.couchsurfing.com/help.html

Looks like an excellent idea for saving cash and meeting people, but I can't help thinking you might wake up in the middle of the night with some wierdo hovering above you as you slumber!

My friend (female) thinks it should be ok for blokes, but not women, but I think anyone's at risk if you put yourself in that situation. It's all very well being able to read through a load of re-assuring information that the couch owner has uploaded to the website, but who's to say they're being honest? You could be bunking down with a maniac!

ooh can't believe no one replied to this! I have been couchsurfing all over the world and its fantastic!! I travelled alone, and didn't have any problems with anyone i stayed with... though i did make sure to read the profiles of the people carefully, and look for people i actually had an interest in meeting.

I've moved to Sydney now, though back here for a holiday, and our CS group over there is awesome! Great social life and really cool people :)

Go try it!

I thought when I read the title to this thread that some half brain had taken a couch down to Newquay or had found a new sexual activity to enhance a jaded sexual life. Now it is Googling on the Horse Hair. I would rather sit and surf rather than lay down semi horizontal. Takes all sorts I suppose. :loopy::loopy:

I'd love to try it, unfortunately I'm rooted in sheffield at the mo.