Wood chips, bark chips needed

Hi,

I need to get my hands on a lot of bark chips/wood chips for my garden.

I need to convert my garden into a child friendly place as I am in the process of registering to be a homebased childcarer. I am turning approx 1/4 of my back garden into a chippings area for climbing frame/slide.

from my understanding it needs to be dug out to the depth of at least 12 inches. So I will need a lot!!!!

anyone having some trees took down and need to get rid of the chippings?

thanks

Greetings, I spotted your thread just now and might be able to help. Not sure you need 12 inch of bark to be honest, that will be very spongy and hard to walk on! I run a gardening business and am going to place an order for some chippings myself this week. It might be possible to share the delivery cost and get some good stuff at the same time. If you like I could come and look at what you need, and offer you some advice if you need it.

All the best, Alex

thanks for the offer!

the area isnt even cleared yet, I was just wondering how easily they were to get hold of. we are toying between the idea of bark chippings and rubber chippings. (bark cheaper, rubber lasts longer) as I am creating an outdoor play area. I am waiting for the guidelines from OFSTED about out door play area's as to how deep the chippings should be.

Just wanted to warn you, i had bark in my front garden rather than grass ended up taking it all up last year because the neighbours stinking cats used it as their toilet :gag:

You can actually buy outdoor rubber mats, maybe that would be better? :?

Just wanted to warn you, i had bark in my front garden rather than grass ended up taking it all up last year because the neighbours stinking cats used it as their toilet :gag:

Thanks.I was thinking of putting some bark down.Not now, as we are surrounded by cats.

hmmmm

we have a lot of cats around us too....

might have to save up and go for the rubber chippings idea.

I did a play area 2 years ago for my Grandson with sleepers and a good 6 inches of bark chips, the local cats did indeed think it was a nice new toilet for their use. The solution was to buy the thick strong plastic netting stuff, not plastic coated wire, comes on a roll at the garden centre or B&Q,it has squares about 2 inches large, I removed the top 2 inches of bark,pegged the plastic "net" over the remainder,then put fresh bark over the top. The cats can't dig it up, so they can't poo.

for a soloution for the cats i tryed this a few year ago at my last house and it worked moth balls they hate the smell and go somewhere else

To stop cats spray used tea bags with ralgex and spread near area

I ended up using rubber chippings from eco-bark and the cats still try to use it as a toilet!!!

:(

cover the area with mesh and clean and sanitise often!