Any problems with ponds in Sheffield? Fish Dying!!

I know of a couple of people who have ponds and all of there fish are either dead or dying.

They test the water in their ponds and all is ok.

One of them has even bought some stuff to put in the pond to treat the fish but this hasnt worked and they have lost hundreds of pounds worth of fish.

The fish get white marks on them, are really lethargic and then they die.

Is anybody else having problems like this, or do you know what may be causing this?

Im no expert but it sounds like something called New pond syndrome.

Its when a lot of rain washes all the nutrients and what have you out of the pond and leaves the water too clean.

I get this each spring or after loads of rainfall, I could well be wrong but thats what I tracked it down to so I keep a barrel of pondwater stored now and pour that into the pond after really heavy rain and it seems to do the trick- none have died so far this spring.

sounds like white spot..the weather ...well changers in the weather..putting salt in may slow it down my dad used to epson salts in the water but you have to work out the gallons per dosage

I dont think its any of these cos I have mentioned these to my friends and they have been and got stuff to treat this and still it hasnt worked.

White spot? Brought on by stress, could be due to all the rain we've had or erratic rise and drop in temperature.

Would have to see the fish to be sure.

Our ponds lovely and healthy at the mo.. very clear due to the cold weather but no casualties.

I dont think its any of these cos I have mentioned these to my friends and they have been and got stuff to treat this and still it hasnt worked.

If not "white spot" it could be the fact that all the heavy rain is stirring up all the crap from the bottom, causing high nitrate levels...not good for fish who's defences are low due to just waking from a dormant period.

Like jabberwokky states, it's a very good idea to have some mature clean water on standby to flush this out. Also make sure you clean all filters with the same mature clean water, then later on get in there and dredge? clean out all dead leaves etc.

The ponds have all been cleaned, no rubbish in there at all, but the problem is still happening.

Just wondered if anybody else had this happening with there ponds.

Are you feeding your fish?

Even though its April, the weather is still very erratic - warm spells then bitterly cold frosts..

I never used to feed the outdoor fish until we were in a steady warmer spell, as the extreme cold spells can make them unable to digest the food.

my ponds ok bit green at the mo due to needing a new u/v lamp but its sounds like white spot to me isolate the fish whats got it and treat them with tonic salt its cheap dont go buying all thease expensive treatments the main thing to do is isolate the fish what look unhealthy and treat them seperatly it speads like wild fire this is what ive done in the past with sucsess hope this helps

The mention of the UV bulb above has just reminded me....

Loopy, if your friends have been using a treatment (assuming for Fungus) did they turn the UV off? The UV needs to be turned off whilst you are using treatments, as it breaks the treatment down before it has a chance to work.

Thanks for the replies.

Im not sure if the UV was turned off, i will ask though - for one of my friends its too late for treatment now as all there fish have died, but I will ask the other one.

And, yes, they have been fed.