60 today - a milestone or a gravestone?

happy birthday hillsborogh 65 today, I've only just seen your 60th birthday thread, I guess it's your 5th wedding aniversary this year congratulations for that one,it will be our 59th in june this I hope you have a long and happy marriage.daffodil123.

Hi harvey19 - nice to hear from you! Yep - Dykes Hall Road seems steeper to me now, but that's because I now live (most of the time) in flat-as-a-pancake Lincs. So when Marion and I are at our Wadsley home (as we've been all week until today) I puff and pant up the hill because I've now got Lincolnshire legs..:o

So you've been married 59 years, daffodil123 - that's wonderful! Marion and I actually celebrated our 6th anniversary last week. Marion has had one silver wedding and she's looking forward to another in 2032. As she says "I only ever had two boyfriends and married them both" and also "I never thought I'd get married twice". Well, I never thought I'd get married once..:P

April is a good month for birthdays, I will be 63 on Wednesday. It's only a number though, i reckon attitude determines altitude. Its not us that gets older though, it is our kids that do. We stay the same. Just less hair and more wrinkles.

like you mate i have turned sisxty it bothered me every time i reached a mile stone 30, 40, 50 and so on and all these years i have suffered alot of ill health problem and once nearly kicked old bucket but since reaching sixty and retired on ill health i feel good i know i will never get to my grans age 94 but who knows not ready for booking the tearse yet but some of my childhood friends have already gone god bless em think its because we are all under pressure at work to get things done quicker & better meeting to many targets

Happy belated 65th hillsbro! I'm a couple of years ahead of you (my 67th next month) and I enjoy being in my 60s.

My husband (of 46 years) and I love the freedom being retired brings. My poor dad didn't even make 60, so after working all his life, and being in the army all through WWII, he didn't get to enjoy any retirement. That makes me more determined to make the most of mine.

I expect to see you resurrecting this on your 70th. :thumbsup:

Thanks Smithy266, cookingfat50 and Ms Mcbeth for your posts. I rarely start a thread and I didn't think this one would bring so many kind replies from Forummers, all much appreciated.

... i know i will never get to my grans age 94 ....
Well you never know cookingfat50, with modern healthcare etc we're all living longer, and I'm already preparing for my telegram from the Queen in 2048..:P Though I suppose it will be more likely to come from King William V, or perhaps his 99 year-old dad (who, if his mum lives as long as her mum, will be pushing 80 when his coronation takes place).

I just realised... I can remember the last coronation. We had the only TV in Dykes Hall Road and dozens of neighbours were in our living room while my mum served tea and home-made scones. Memories... But as PopT rightly observed, the important thing is to look forward, not back..:)

Hi hillsbro, belated birthday wishes for yesterday.

Seems a lifetime ago we were up at Castle Dyke playing fields braving the elements !

You look at those old school photos of those fresh faced kids with their lives ahead of them and realise we're the lucky ones that made it through to this milestone.

Heres to a few more years of reminiscing with all the other old codgers on this site.

I know it's not good to be constantly looking back but I think our generation are fortunate to have grown up in the best of times and we should appreciate that

Hi Dreb48 - yes, it does indeed seem a lifetime ago that we were exposed to the bitter easterlies at Castle Dyke. It's mentioned in my KES article which you've perhaps seen. So many of my old friends didn't reach pensionable age - Robert (Baggi) Wright, Julian Hunt (who died at 54) and John Ramsden for example. I quite agree that we are fortunate in having grown up in the post-war era, not having to wait longer for pensions etc. (and in my case, retiring early with a final salary-based pension). And I think we're allowed to reminisce a bit, as well as looking to the future!.:)

Hi Dreb48 - yes, it does indeed seem a lifetime ago that we were exposed to the bitter easterlies at Castle Dyke. It's mentioned in my KES article which you've perhaps seen. So many of my old friends didn't reach pensionable age - Robert (Baggi) Wright, Julian Hunt (who died at 54) and John Ramsden for example. I quite agree that we are fortunate in having grown up in the post-war era, not having to wait longer for pensions etc. (and in my case, retiring early with a final salary-based pension). And I think we're allowed to reminisce a bit, as well as looking to the future!.:)

Just read your school days history and recognised the name Ian Minogue.

Ian and myself were in the same year at Wisewood junior school and his name came up whilst I was reminiscing with friends the other week.

What career path did Ian follow ?

(Last year a couple engaged me in conversation and I was baffled by what they were saying. It turned out that they had mistook me for you on the strength of your avator photo!)

Hi harvey19 - I've sent you a PM..:)

What's it feel like to be 60?

Am about half that age...just wondered. Is it better? or worse?

What's it feel like to be 60? Am about half that age...just wondered. Is it better? or worse?
Hi TJC1 - Well, it naturally depends on your own circumstances etc. but I am definitely happier now than when I was in my 30s. In the 1980s I was of course working full-time, also I wasn't married etc. I suppose as a bachelor I might have been a bit lonely but I was looking after my (wonderful) parents. Yes - I was more energetic then, I had no ties and was busy travelling the world within the limits of my 5 weeks' annual holiday entitlement (46 countries by the time I reached 40). But now I have a wonderful wife (whom I first knew in 1967-68 - it's a long story but see post #1 on this thread), a nice home and - as of yesterday - another pension to add to my private one. Also a bus pass, winter fuel allowance etc. And if Marion and I like to look of the weather and decide to take ourselves off to the Lake District etc. for a week, we can just do that. Life is good despite perhaps being a grumpy old codger!.:P