60 today - a milestone or a gravestone?

He's 70 today..the original post was 10 years ago :D

Happy Birthday Mr.H.

Happy Birthday Hillsbro, a true fountain of knowledge on Sheffield past and present.

Thanks very much, everyone, for your good wishes and kind comments..:).I'd forgotten about the free TV licence, old tup - Marion (Mrs hillsbro) is a year older, so in four years' time we'll benefit from this. We made good use of our bus passes today going to and from Lincoln via picturesque villages, and enjoyed lunch at the Lion & Snake, a fine hostelry in Bailgate, behind the cathedral. And of course being retired we have free time to enjoy such things.

So getting older isn't all bad news, and despite passing this "milestone" I feel better already..:)

Edited by hillsbro

PS should have gone to Specsavers-Oops!.:nod:

Happy Birthday Hillsbro. One of Sheffield Forum's gems! With an amazing knowledge and a wonderful manner, I wish you all the very Best Wishes for your special day and for a long and healthy future.

Ah, Dunham toll bridge!

In one village, whose name and exact whereabouts elude me, a massive stuffed bear stood in a doorway across the road from a pub. It was an obvious attraction for we called there more than once. Perhaps someone else can recall where it was?

Echo.

RE-The stuffed bear....(is it really 5 years ago:o)....a cousin of mine told me.. the bear stood in Dunham on the right hand side in what i think was a pub yard before you got to the bridge.I remember it from going fishing with my dad when i was little.The name of the pub is .The Bridge Inn...:):)

Belated birthday greetings, hillsbro! As "Sweetcheeks" wrote yesterday you are one of Sheffield Forum's gems. With your knowledge of Sheffield's history etc, and especially your own area of Hillsborough, many Forum members have benefited from your contributions. I turned 70 last year but don't feel any older as I'm sure you don't also - it's just a number!

Thanks again, folks, for your birthday greetings and kind comments. I suppose there are worse things than being 70, and it’s nice to know that I have so many friends on the Forum! :)

From me to H.....and many more of them!!

.................if you think 60 is bad, wait until you get to seventy!! Thought I was quite fit until I hit seventy. (now seventy two) still, I would rather be over the hill than under it!!! Happy birthday, and many of them!!!

Thanks very much again, friends, for your kind words. You're quite right, "scousemouse" - it's better to be over the hill than under it. That's a good maxim for us septuagenarians! :)