60 today - a milestone or a gravestone?

I'm 75 and enjoying life, doing the coast to coast bike ride again in may for the children's hospital. keep an active mind as well as an active body, its important

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Thanks for your input, Banker and coritani! Of course your're absolutely right - the important thing isn't how old you are (that's just a number) it's to have a positive approach and to keep active, mentally and physically. Yesterday I mowed lawns and did other gardening-oriented jobs, and in the evening did some eBaying and started to write an article for a philatelic journal. Today Marion and I will cycle to Scotter and back (an eight-mile round trip) and we'll call at the Messingham car boot sale on the way back. We're baby-sitting the two year-old Ellie Mai tonight..:)

Hi Hillsboro'---Happy Birthday! For heaven's sake cheer up! You are only a chicken and have the most wonderful part of your life to come! Respect and all that. I think you are too young to remember my dear friend Winnie Burnley who used to live on Bankfield Road, Hillsboro'---she was about 4 foot nothing and a great and tough character. Her sister lived on Dykes Hall Road. Mrs Milner. Have a great year!

Hi marth - thanks for your good wishes. Of course you're right, we over-60s can enjoy life to the full. It's a lovely morning here and we're off walking in the Lincolnshire Wolds, then we'll have a pub lunch at the Aston Arms in Market Rasen. Nothing like it!

I don't remember Winnie Burnley but I have a faint memory of a George and Edith Milner in Dykes Hall Road - I think they had a chip shop somewhere up Walkley Lane. It seems such a long time ago now, but of course the numbers don't matter!.:)

I'm 69 in June. I have had many milestones throughout my life and will continue to set goals for myself. I emigrated when I was 38, learned to drive when I was 40, got remarried when I was 50, learned to swim when I was 53, learned to play golf and angling when I was 55 and came back home to Sheffield when I was 67. Now am am still swimming and have taken up hiking in Derbyshire. I think keeping life interesting and challenging is important for me. The mirror tells me that I am now a senior citizen but inside I feel full of life. I plan on having no regrets when I shed this mortal coil.

and talking of bus pass, last trip to U.K it was a while befor i fell in what on earth was a twerly had to get clued in TO-EARLY LOL

Hi marth -, then we'll have a pub lunch at the Aston Arms in Market Rasen. Nothing like it!

I was in Market Rasen meself yesterday..or at least passed thro'..had a nice run out on the "Goldwing" down the A57 over Dunham bridge, thro' Lincoln to Skeggy,back via' Lount,stopped off at Willingham Woods.....just up the road from M/Rasen...for a drink/snack...back home thro' Gainsborough etc,lovely day out...:D:D:D.....

That's the spirit, Banksia, keep active - it's the key to staying young. I've never been busier, doing all kinds of things from hiking to decorating to gardening to charity work etc. Here in North Lincs. we don't have "twerlies", flyer - our bus passes are valid round the clock. The bad news is that when in Sheffield we can't use them on Supertram (in theory.;)). Hi euclid - glad you enjoyed your day out in Lincolnshire; it's lovely in Willingham Woods at this time of year. It's almost as nice a morning here today so we'll go walking in Twigmore Woods. Oh, Dunham bridge.... In the 1950s we used to go that way to Skeggy with dad driving the Triumph Thunderbird combination. We would sometimes go very early in the morning and dad would speed past the toll box when the man wasn't looking. He'd turn to mum on the pillion and say "I've done 'em"..:P

First of all belated birthday wishes on your 60th. Looking back on life I have found to be very addictive, I try hard not to be too obsessive about it, but I'm not having much luck.

A great story about Marion and yourself, you can say. it's never too late to find true love and happiness, you certainly deserve it. I hope you both have many more years of happiness in front of you.

Derek Clayton. Canberra Australia.

We'll be in Laughterton near Torksey for bank holiday weekend Hillsboro - can usually be found in the Friendship of an evening:D

Hi Derek Clayton - thanks very much for your good wishes. Yep - the more I indulge in life the more I like it! It's certainly remarkable how Marion and I found each other again; every day's a bonus and we live life to the full. Hi denlin - we know the Friendship quite well but it's quite a while since we were there. We'll be away for the bank holiday; on 4 May we are off to Devon for a week, staying with my friend Martin at his country pile near Okehampton. He's another eccentric philatelist like me. Well, maybe not quite so eccentric...:P

Pop in any time Hillsboro, we are generally there every other weekend in summer, our caravan is behind it and Dens barbecues are legendary:D