60 today - a milestone or a gravestone?

Happy 70th from Toronto rogG!! Balmy 15 celcius down here!

Hi ssbenson - so sorry to read your post. We never know what is "around the corner" and here is the proof. As you say you will get through it as you have a positive approach. Your grandchildren will be shocked and bewildered, but they are fortunate in having loving grandparents. All good wishes to you all from an old bloke with a tear in his eye.

All good stuff.
Yes indeed - Hillsbro doesn't start many threads but this one has brought some interesting and highly readable replies - keep 'em coming!:)

Thanks for your reply, beechnut, and MANY HAPPY RETURNS RogG!.:)

Sorry you're having to wait for your bus pass, King-29 but it will be worth waiting for. Tomorrow Mrs hillsbro and I will go by bus to Matlock (pub lunch), then to Bakewell (for pudding) and then back to Sheffield. I reckon the bus fares would work out at about £20.

For the people who sent me PMs and enquired about the "middle" part of post #1, here is a link to the rather romantic story as reported by the Scunthorpe Telegraph. Yorkshire TV also covered the wedding with a 2-minute slot on Calendar News!

I met my second wife through 'Person to Person' - a magazine published in Minehead. I'm 70 and have spent the last 10 years as 'househusband'. However, my wife (61) is recently retired, is on the train to Liverpool and is £2.50 up on the day by virtue of Senior Citizen's Railcard. Unfortunately, living in Wales, our bus passes are not valid in England but you can't win them all. We hope to feel young enough and be fit enough to travel round meeting people and enjoying ourselves for many a year yet. When I started work in Barclays Bank, Middlewood Rd, Hillsborough in 1960, the manager, Ernie Farmer was 63 and I thought 'how can anybody so ancient still work?' It comes to us all though but having spoken to Dave Berry after his show in Runcorn last year, it doesn't have to show or impair behaviour/performance. If there are any old rockers out there, I recommend going to gigs by Dave, or Joe Brown, Gerry Marsden, Marty Wilde. We saw Cliff and the Shadows at the Arena in Sheffield in 2009. It was absolutely brilliant and will probably never be repeated.

Thanks for your reply, beechnut, and MANY HAPPY RETURNS RogG!.:)

Sorry you're having to wait for your bus pass, King-29 but it will be worth waiting for. Tomorrow Mrs hillsbro and I will go by bus to Matlock (pub lunch), then to Bakewell (for pudding) and then back to Sheffield. I reckon the bus fares would work out at about £20.

For the people who sent me PMs and enquired about the "middle" part of post #1, here is a link to the rather romantic story as reported by the Scunthorpe Telegraph. Yorkshire TV also covered the wedding with a 2-minute slot on Calendar News!

If you jump off at Chesterfield for an hour on your way it's market day !

It's an interesting question mumsy, and the background needs explaining. Marion and I went our separate ways in 1968. We really wanted to plan a future together; it was simply that we lived too far apart and we saw no possibility for this to change. In 1975 I began doing family history research in St Catherine's House in London, using the General Register Office indexes that could be consulted there. And while doing this I looked in the marriages index for 1968 onwards, from which I learned that Marion had got married in 1971. So I thought "Well, that's it then". Marion and Pete were married for 33 years, and it was only after Pete died, and Marion acquired an interest in computers (thanks to her computer-technician son-in-law) that the link via friendsreunited.co.uk was made.It's every bit as good, if not better, but circumstances are of course very different. We're older, and being retired we have time for each other without the stresses and strains of work, raising a family etc. Like everyone else we've had good luck and bad luck in our lives, but it's nice when things come right..

Its a beautiful story hillsbro and am so glad I came across it when I did - it helped me make a decision about my life so thankyou for sharing. It also made me cry (with joy not sadness) we all deserve love and companionship at all ages in our lives and am so glad yours has been enriched once more.

I look forward to your posting in 2032-the same year I hit 65.

God bless you and Marion and hope you always stay special to each other

mumsy xx

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quote tags

I look forward to your posting in 2032-the same year I hit 65.

God bless you and Marion and hope you always stay special to each other

mumsy xx

Hi mumsy - I just read your post out to Marion in the other corner of the lounge (we have two computers in opposite corners - and send romantic emails to each other.;)). We both agree that we'll always be special to each other. Sometimes we look back and think of what might have been, but it's pointless. We've both had busy, happy and fulfilled lives, albeit in very different directions. Marion has a son, a daughter and four grandchildren. I travelled a lot, looked after my mum & dad, worked for the Midland Bank / HSBC for 32 years, wrote and translated books etc. etc. And eventually, when Marion had lost her husband of 33 years and I had lost my mum (that is - just when we each faced a lonely future) we found each other..:)

Hi mumsy - I just read your post out to Marion in the other corner of the lounge (we have two computers in opposite corners - and send romantic emails to each other.;)). We both agree that we'll always be special to each other. Sometimes we look back and think of what might have been, but it's pointless. We've both had busy, happy and fulfilled lives, albeit in very different directions. Marion has a son, a daughter and four grandchildren. I travelled a lot, looked after my mum & dad, worked for the Midland Bank / HSBC for 32 years, wrote and translated books etc. etc. And eventually, when Marion had lost her husband of 33 years and I had lost my mum (that is - just when we each faced a lonely future) we found each other..:)

You have set me off again...tissues please!! xxx

Beautiful xx

---------- Post added 17-04-2013 at 22:34 ----------

Hi, although not a lively reply, I would just like to say that my husband & I have spent 15 happy years sitogether since the kids have grown up & left home, however 6 weeks ago one of our daughters was murdered & her husband charged , now on remand for muurder, at the ages of 61 (him) & 56 (me) We are now parents again , and what a roller coaster it is, the elder giirl (7) is just like her mum and the younger one is the double of her mum's younger broother it's like turning the clock back 30 years, But I think we are young enough at heart to get through this .

---------- Post added 16-04-2013 at 20:31 ----------

my husband and I have just become parents again to the grandaughters age 5 & 7, daddy is on remand for mummys murder, and we have become parents again aged 62 (him), 56 (me). What a roller coaster & certainlly what we didn't expect at our age!!!!

'

Hi there, I have sent you a pm xx

mumsy xx

Edited by mumsy

I`m 67 and I like my bus pass and taking all day for a trip out to Bakewell. I also like having a third off train fares and going to Liverpool for the day to remenisce about a band coming from there during the sixties when I was a teenager.

After enjoying a life of physical sport and a working life in industry, I was brought up to always offer my seat on a bus to a lady. I now find young ladies and young gents are standing to one side and making way for me to get on the bus/tram before them. All my life I have got on the bus last allowing the ladies to get on first, and now they stand back for me.

They sometimes even offer their seat to me as well.

Well, ok I may have dodgy knees, but I am still able to stand and continue to allow ladies to take up the seats.

But it is something that I have to reluctantly get used to and to go along with.

Young ladies standing to one side and allowing you to go first sure is difficult to get used to.

Young ladies standing to one side and allowing you to go first sure is difficult to get used to.
It certainly is. On one occasion I was coming home to Wadsley on a No 14 bus when a girl, aged about 14, smiled sweetly and got up to let me sit down. It was very nice of the kid but she couldn't have known what the effect on me was, bearing in mind I was 43 at the time. My mother - then a hale and hearty 72 - told me I shouldn't worry until boy scouts start to see me across the road..:|

Edited by hillsbro
Speling...

...told me I shouldn't worry until boy scouts start to see me across the road..:|

That's the spirit, hillsboro! We all undergo these "rites of passage" as we get older, and being offered a seat on a bus is one of them. The important things are to live for the present and be positive about the future. I'm 71 and have never felt better. :)