60 today - a milestone or a gravestone?

I'm 60 today. And I feel pretty awful. I never thought I would bother much about getting older. It's true that when I was 40 and 50 I hardly gave it a thought. But the awful thought now is that I only have "old" age to look forward to. What do forummers, especially those over 60, think about this milestone? Does it make any difference, or is the old adage "you're only as old as you feel" apply?

Physically, I feel quite good. Despite the odd twinge I am in good health, and things have certainly improved of late. Although I lost my much-loved mum in 2006, things also improved around that time. And in March last year, this erstwhile bachelor married his childhood sweetheart after 37 years apart (FriendsReunited works!) Marion and I are blissfully happy, and this takes the edge off any feelings of misery today. And of course, I get my bus pass and my £200 winter heating allowance. I can get my (remaining) hair cut more cheaply. I qualify as a "senior citizen" and so pay less to visit some stately homes, tourist sites etc.

But I don't feel like a "senior citizen". Mentally, if not physically, I feel like an old man. Naturally, I have been reminiscing about old times - my wonderful parents, who in the difficult post-war period did their very best for my brother, sister and me. Weekend trips with dad's motorbike + sidecar into Derbyshire. The Dial House seaside day out each year. Dear old Uncle Joe taking us fishing. Whitsuntide gatherings in Hillsborough Park. Paddling in the river at Malin Bridge. Family units that stayed together through thick and thin. Friendly corner shops kept by local people who would serve you at the back door after hours. But I feel as if I should be looking forward, not back.

All commiserations or suggestions welcome...

No suggestions, but, many more happy returns of the day, anyway, hillsbro> :D

I know what you mean. I turned 65 in February and wasn't too thrilled, but as the day after came I realised i was no different to the day before.

I still feel the same and am doing the same job. I have my husband and family and the only thing that changed was the number.

The bus pass has saved me a fortune in the last 5 years:hihi:

So happy birthday and don't get blue.

It's just a number.

"Just a number". I like that thought, and you are absolutely right. I'll bear it in mind - thanks!

Awww! I know how you feel, I was 60 last year. It does seem a much bigger milestone than any preceding birthday. It's our last decade when we can really pretend to ourselves that we're still 'young enough'. Although maybe in another 9 years I'll be singing a different tune! I think you actually mean you mentally feel like a young man, not an old one? Those halycon days of our youth, hindsight brings a golden halo to memories, but I really do think the 50s and 60s were a much better time to be young in than now.

Congratulations on getting married too, and to your childhood sweetheart. At least you've got someone to share it all with, who remembers the same things. Lucky you!

I think you actually mean you mentally feel like a young man, not an old one?

Thanks for your input, rubydazzler. Actually, what I meant was that, mentally, I feel like an old man today, because I'm 60. Until today I could put any thoughts of being a sexagenarian aside, but now I'm actually a 60 year-old. But I suppose the feeling of being old will pass - especially as, physically, I am in good shape. And as you say, I now have someone to share it all with - both the memories of when we were kids together 40+ years ago, and thoughts and hopes for the future. I never thought I would ever be a married man. In the 1960s, Marion and I parted because she lived in Scunthorpe and I lived in Sheffield, and it just got too difficult. But now we're married, and as Marion is 61, I suppose I have the last laugh!

74 in feb I didn't start to feel old till i reached 70 then after a very bad hernia op the body just went to hell, just lack of exercise, at this age it takes a long time to bounce back but i'll keep working . My father died in Sheffield at 96 and my mother at 90 so with the better drugs(:hihi::hihi::hihi:) of today I will crack the 100 mark in only 25 yrs:cool::cool:

Many Happy Returns. Don't worry about it. I hit 65 last November and although I have a few nostalgic tendencies, I get on with today and just look forward to all the good things I'm going to do this year. Next year can look after itself, as can the past. Dave Berry gave a great show at Llandudno last Wednesday and he's 67. Marty Wilde and Joe Brown are still giving it loads.

Every Monday I get £119 OAP (SCA) and this keeps me in Beer for the week. I want to get the OAP for as many years as I can. My Dad's been drawing it for 25 years and he's on a 4 month holiday in Madeira.

Whatever you do don't start thinking you are old!!as said it is just a number,I was 78 last week and have a check up every six months and the Doctor said I am in excellent health for a man my age,I have many interests and hobbies,swim every week winter and summer,holiday abroad three times a year,and above all keep the old brain box going.Many happy returns.

Thanks, folks, for all your good wishes and advice. I'm sure that this feeling of being old will pass - it's just that "celebrating" your 60th birthday is some kind of rite of passage, and it's a reminder that we all get older.

I certainly keep busy. I took early retirement in 2002 and like Highnote I have plenty of interests. I've been busy with gardening, house repairs/decorating, country walking, eBaying, extended pub lunches, travelling (USA & South Africa last year; Germany, France & South Africa this year), writing/translating books and articles - and at present (we hope) selling our Sheffield home and looking for another one. I think that retirement has its own version of Parkinson's Law - your activities expand to fit the time available.

Sorry to hear about the hernia op, flyer, but you certainly have good genetics and I'm sure you'll reach 100 and get your telegram from the Queen (she'll be about 107 by then, but her mum made it to 101).

If mikeG's dad is active enough at 90 to take a long holiday in Madeira, that gives me something to aim for. Mrs hillsbro and I are in quite good shape, and as we were apart for so long we've got some catching up to do. ;)..I went to the BUPA clinic recently for a full MOT, and apart from a high cholesterol level (now lowered with pills, which come free from today) I got a clean bill of health.

I feel better already.

sounds like life begins at 60 in your case hillsbro, happy birthday, :partyhat: you have good health which is great, I dont mind getting older as long as I stay fit and healthy.

I envy the bus pass hillsboro hehe :hihi:

but you do have to spend your fuel allowance on your grandkids so i'll let you off ;)