Football in the 1980's v Football in 2008 which was better?

80's was not better for sheffield clubs.

football in the 1980s was much better

you liked it that much mate you told us twice ,:D.:D.

i wasnt around for the 80's so cant really say which is best but it was definately a mans game back then, alot of the rules that have been brought in have made the game worse i would say

i wasnt around for the 80's so cant really say which is best but it was definately a mans game back then, alot of the rules that have been brought in have made the game worse i would say

without a doubt mate ,it was a lot more physical back then and the game was better for it .

Football was crap in the 80's,all the flair players of the 70's were replaced by robots who covered every blade of grass and had no skill.Sammy Lee and Peter Reid spring to mind,remember this was the decade of percentage football when we were told that if you got the ball in the final third of the field often enough you'd more than likely score,it proved for brilliant entertainment:gag:Remember some of the great managers of the time;Wilkinson,Basset and the likes of John Beck;yes football in the 80's was s*** and don't even get me going about some of the grounds,I remember standing on numerous away ends and having all sorts of objects chucked at us,I only wanted to watch a game of football.

Football in the 80's better than it is today,Rubbish.

I'll go with that, well put lad.

Gotta admit the atmosphere was a hell of a lot better when i started going to games in late 70s as a young un stood at the bottom of the kop with mi mates

But maybe that's me looking at it with rose tinted glasses and living on memories;)

For passion and players i'd say 70's, 80's and early 90's. I prefer the game much better these days but the greed of players puts me off slightly along with the footballers wags.

I would say that the actual football thats being played on the pitch is better, some of the balls that are played and the goals that are being scored just wouldn't have happened in the 80's.

But as for the state of the game (the money, the diving, the prima donnas) well thats another matter entirely!

I'll tell you what I miss - not strictly just an 80's thing, but it started dying out soon after - the FA cup final song!!

I'll tell you what I don't miss - those short shorts!!!

Anyone seen The Big Match Revisited on one of the cable channels? Well worth a look.

The standard of the football and the state of the pitches was just appalling.

Although the atmosphere was a million times better.

The BIG difference between then and now........ a foreign player was someone from North of the Border or from over the Irish Sea.

Foreign players today may be technically superior to their British counterparts, but the majority don't give a rats ass about who they play for!

Jim:thumbsup:

Anyone seen The Big Match Revisited on one of the cable channels? Well worth a look.

The standard of the football and the state of the pitches was just appalling.

Although the atmosphere was a million times better.

any idea which channel its on mate ?