Football in the 1980's v Football in 2008 which was better?

any idea which channel its on mate ?

Its summat like ITV 4 or 5?

I can't remember what day I saw it.

cheers mate-i`ll see if i can find it -be worth a watch

cheers mate-i`ll see if i can find it

-be worth a watch

can you make it a rolex ?:D.

Football was crap in the 80's,all the flair players of the 70's were replaced by robots who covered every blade of grass and had no skill.Sammy Lee and Peter Reid spring to mind,remember this was the decade of percentage football when we were told that if you got the ball in the final third of the field often enough you'd more than likely score,it proved for brilliant entertainment:gag:Remember some of the great managers of the time;Wilkinson,Basset and the likes of John Beck;yes football in the 80's was s*** and don't even get me going about some of the grounds,I remember standing on numerous away ends and having all sorts of objects chucked at us,I only wanted to watch a game of football.

Football in the 80's better than it is today,Rubbish.

A really top class post, you are spot on regarding the robots, I would go further back and lump the 60's in with the 70's. Every club had their flair players who performed their magical skills on pitches that at times resembled ploughed fields, players were left to play, they weren't coached out of using their god given skills.

However the OP asked for a comparison between football in the 1980's and the current day (I think that he meant 2009). The 1980's saw the demise of the football that we loved, violent supporters, poor stadia and some of our better players opting to ply their trade abroad. On a personal note the 80's gave me the wonderful sights of a Wilkinson Wednesday side, my neck has just started to get better.

I'm not impressed with the Premiership of late, the stadia and pitches are much better, the fans are better behaved but the standard of some of the football is abysmal. Give me the first half of the 90's any day, a far better standard of football then than now. I rest my case by reminding forum members of last night's England game. zzzzzzzzz

I saw the West Ham versus Newcastle match on ITV4 the other day (it was a lunch time showing) and the date of the match was March 1979.

What I noticed were a few things. Firstly, the players seemed honest, keen footballers who wanted to get on with the game. True, some wouldn't make Division One these days but they put in the effort which was helped by a referee who also wanted to let the game run. Whilst there wasn't an abundance of skill, it was fairly easy on the eye and the final result of five-nil to the Shammers was, all in all, a fair result!

The ground looked old but it was tidy and the place was packed to the rafters. There was no in-your-face advertising like you get round pitchside these days, just traditional advertising boards and the old fashioned A to Z boards which told supporters how other matches were going (usually at half time).

Only one substitute per team. No silly coloured boots or look-at-me haircuts. Interestingly, I don't think there was a black face amongst either side.

Whilst I appreciate the comment about 1980s robots, there were some fine players in this decade including Dalglish, Linekar, Hoddle, Waddle, Mark Hughes, Ian Rush, John Barnes, Andy Gray, Pat Nevin and some great goalies in Clemence and Shilton.

I'd like to finish with the fact that it was still the people's game in those days where the average fan on a lot less than the average wage could easily afford to follow his team.

Not a prawn sandwich or pair of yellow footy boots in sight!

Anyone seen The Big Match Revisited on one of the cable channels? Well worth a look.

The standard of the football and the state of the pitches was just appalling.

Although the atmosphere was a million times better.

Watch it whenever work permitting,love watching the old games and Brian Moores commentary

Watch it whenever work permitting,love watching the old games and Brian Moores commentary

he was the best commentater of all

he was the best commentater of all

And Clive Tyldesley (sp?) must surely be the worst.

And Clive Tyldesley (sp?) must surely be the worst.

david pleat gets that award- closely followed by dion dublin.

david pleat gets that award- closely followed by dion dublin.

i cant cope with Jonathan Pearce on the BBC- i agree Pleaty is shocking though

worst ever step forward.. ron atkinson.

remember those Ron Atkinson masks the fans wore.:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: