Carfield Intermediate School, 1943-1947.

Do you remember Dennis Westwood ,Tom Blackwell, Marjory Wilton,Josie Wrightson, all pupils at this time. Miss Stuart the PE teacher and Music teacher, Miss Llewelyn French. I can remember a girl called Rita she lived at Woodseats and was what you would now call streetwise she had one brown eye and one hazel. I think she was expelled.We were all in 3c I think we had been given up on.

Hi Rhonda, Sadly I can't remember your name but I was there at the same time as the people you mention. I started in 1a with Mr E G G Lyon then spent last years in B classes . My teacher then was a Mr Bolton. I still have a quote in my old autograph book from Rita! Something about breeze blowing skirts on high!! Was Miss Varah there for English? My name is Alan Radford and at times I was called 'Titch'

Kind regards

Alan Radford

Hi, I saw your message asking about Mr Bower who was headmaster of Carfield Intermediate School 1926-1940, I recently met a lady in Dorset Joy Jocelyn who was born in 1920 and lived in Bishops House in Meersbrook with her grandparents Harry and Lucy Ryalls (he was the park keeper in Meersbrook Park and lived there for 30-40 years) in the late 1920s because her father had died and her mother went to work as a live-in housekeeper. It was only 2-3 years that Joy lived there because they had to move out when her grandfather died, Joy then moved into a house down the hill in Heeley. She went first to Carfield Primary school and then the intermediate school, and she mentioned Mr Bower, she said he was very good, a lovely man, and he once wrote a reference for her. She has still got it, and she tried to find it on the day I visited her but couldn't find it.

I think after he retired from Carfield in 1940 he may have moved down south to the coast, because Mrs Jocelyn mentioned that the occasion when she wanted the reference was when she had been working as a nanny with a family who were staying on holiday in a village outside Margate for 6 weeks, and the mother-in-law was bossing her about (which she didn't like as she was a trained children's nurse and very capable) and disbelieving her when she said that she and the children would walk up to the beach hut every day (the mother-in-law didn't think the child was able to), so she quit, and I think she thought of Mr Bower for a reference because she said he'd gone to live further up the coast - perhaps near there. She wrote to him for the reference though so it might not have been somewhere else not near Margate.

I live just down the hill from Bishop's House.

Best wishes

Kate Whittaker

Hi Rhonda I'm a bit younger than you guys (born52) but I also went to Carfield infants then juniors my senior school was Newfield. However I new a Marjory Wilton who lived at the end of Southall St. And I believe she is now in the sheltered accommodation at Carfield.

PS you don't know the whereabouts of Rhonda80 do you she was an old pal of my mums(also ex Carfield a one armed girl called Elsie). Regards Dave D.

Time Bandit 52. Yes I was a friend of Elsie she lived in the flats at the bottom of Valley Road. When I was at Carfield I lived on Whiting Street.

Great to hear from you again (I'm Elsie's lad David) we met at her funeral and passed a few memories on face book. Then you went quiet and got me thinking the worst. Hope you are ok and keep in touch .

Hi David, hope you are good. I am well and still in Sheffield at Gleadless. How times have changed. My Sons went to Carfield and then on to Newfield. The eldest then went on to Abbeydale for A levels. How schooling has changed since those days. The old disciplines stood you in good stead for life. My youngest Son served in the Parachute Reg., the eldest a football coach with the FA and is a director of coaching with a major club. So Carfield was a good start in life. Nice to get in touch.

Four years ago I wrote asking if any students who were at Carfield Intermediate during the period 1943-1947 were still with us.Now that I've passed the eighty- year- old threshhold, I am even more curious.

I have very fond memories of the students and most of the staff at Carfield and would enjoy knowing that some of us are still alive and well. If you have the energy and can still hit the keys, please respond to see if we can get some communications going.

I recently reached 85 and still wonder if there are any you left who can still answer.If so I would enjoy hearing from you

Hi old friends of Carfield Intermediate School. I'm still going strong.I hope you are all ok. Time flies and only just thought to have a look at Sheffield Forum again. Specially David are you ok? I frequently pass Carfield and it looks so small, is it me or was it always so small.

Do you remember Dennis Westwood ,Tom Blackwell, Marjory Wilton,Josie Wrightson, all pupils at this time. Miss Stuart the PE teacher and Music teacher, Miss Llewelyn French. I can remember a girl called Rita she lived at Woodseats and was what you would now call streetwise she had one brown eye and one hazel. I think she was expelled.We were all in 3c I think we had been given up on.

I went to Carfield Secondary Modern school. Started in 1943 and left 1953 with my G.C.E'.s.

I remember those teachers very well, especially Miss Stuart (What a figure).

Remember having to go down into the air raid shelters when the Siren went during the war. I lived at 93, Kent Road. The Maths teacher Mr. Bolton hated my guts and our teacher was Mr. Helen "the Melon". The history teacher was always playing billiards in his trouser pocket,Hi.

Memories !, The good and Bad old days.

---------- Post added 18-10-2017 at 11:17 ----------

I was at Carfield from 1946 to 1951. Members of my year group I remember well were Denis Price, Peter Hall, Peter Clark, Alan Hebblethwaite, Kenneth Kirkland, Denis Morgan, Peter Fletcher, Walter Phillips, Bernard Buxton, Garry Pollard, Ian Kemlo, Roderick Fry, Alan Hinchliffe, Barry Hawley and several others whose names escape me. Among the girls were Shirley Rowbottom. Barbara Morritt, Delia Turner, Monica Dickinson but don't remember them so well as we were divided into boys and girls forms after yearAntijammer 2. From other years I remember Valerie Dearden, Jean Dempsey and Maureen Wilkinson. Think I remember Mavis Petch who posted earlier. Did she have red hair? Teachers I remember well: Mr Lyons: Mr Levy, history; Mrs Nott and Miss Varah, English; Mr Ellin; Miss Baker, art; Miss Jones and Mrs Fry . French; Mr Hastwell, handicrafts; Mr Middleton, science; Mr Askham, geography; Miss Stuart; Mr Kay of course: who could forget that commanding presence and the beard? Man Yak he was nicknamed by the seniors.

Hi, I was at Carfield from 1943 - 1953. I remember all the staff that you mentioned, but only one girls name, Maureen Wilkinson (may be I had a crush on her ?). I also remember a boy named Peter in my class, his father was the Chief Fire Officer at the fire station,at West Bar I think ?.

I was the Captain of the 1st 15 Rugby team 52-53

I see that this blog is quite old now, and may be many of the Carfield students of my time have now died. I am 80 years old, so I'm on the short list myself !.:hihi:

---------- Post added 18-10-2017 at 12:19 ----------

I don't remember any of the names you mentioned except that of Miss Stuart(Even now after nearly 70 years I can still see that wonderful jet black hair tied with a red ribbon).Since I don't remember even one student name I wonder if you were at Carfield starting in 1943 so that we would have been in the same "year"

The teachers that I recall are; Mr. Hill(Boys PT), Mr.Bolton(Math), Mr.Middleton(Science), Mr.Lyon(?).I can clearly see many other teachers(in my minds eye) but I am unable to attach names to them.Of course I remember the Headmaster Mr.Kay since I received four strokes of the cane from him(detailed in an earlier

post).

I remember all those teachers. When we left school in 1953 we went with Mr Hill to

Rowlingson Technical high school at Norton for 3 weeks to help move all the furniture into that brand new school.(I hear that it has been knocked down and another scool/collagfe has been built there ?.

On 7/20/2008 at 9:12 PM, CarolW said:

Anyone remember the name "Womersley" from around 1947 at Carfield?? He'd love to hear from you!!!! :hihi::hihi:

I think I remember that unusual name. I left School in 1953 and joined the Merchant Navy, but that did not last long due to seasickness Hi,Hi.  This post is 10 years old now so maybe  you are not with us anymore ???

On 7/18/2014 at 1:04 PM, agedgardener said:

Hi Rhonda, Sadly I can't remember your name but I was there at the same time as the people you mention. I started in 1a with Mr E G G Lyon then spent last years in B classes . My teacher then was a Mr Bolton. I still have a quote in my old autograph book from Rita! Something about breeze blowing skirts on high!! Was Miss Varah there for English? My name is Alan Radford and at times I was called 'Titch'

Kind regards

Alan Radford

I have just read the remark from Alan Radford. Hi Alan, are ytou the little thin guy that played Scrum Half in the 1st XV. I was the Captain and I remember that you had a nick name that sounded like Tij, but of cause it could be "Titch" ???.

I have a photo of the team, but don't know to add it top this blog

Edited by Peter Tottle