Carfield Intermediate School, 1943-1947.

I was at Carfield during the years 1943 to 1947 and often wonder how many of the kids I knew are still going strong.I have lived in the US for fifty years now and have been out of touch with any one I knew (except for one girl).

Not being particlarly smart in the early years I was relegated to form 3T (Machine drawing etc) so my last two years at Carfield were somewhat segregated.I guess I was a so called "late bloomer" since I managed to do reasonably well in later life.

If any one at Carfield during those years has anything to say about life at school (or any other subject) I would be happy to hear from them.

Who was your head teacher at the time?

Who was your head teacher at the time?

Mr.Kay was the Headmaster

My Mother-in-Law used to go to Carfiled, IM me your name and I will ask her if she knows you, She does not come on the forum, but I will give you her email address if she does.

Do you remember Dennis Westwood ,Tom Blackwell, Marjory Wilton,Josie Wrightson, all pupils at this time. Miss Stuart the PE teacher and Music teacher, Miss Llewelyn French. I can remember a girl called Rita she lived at Woodseats and was what you would now call streetwise she had one brown eye and one hazel. I think she was expelled.We were all in 3c I think we had been given up on.

Do you remember Dennis Westwood ,Tom Blackwell, Marjory Wilton,Josie Wrightson, all pupils at this time. Miss Stuart the PE teacher and Music teacher, Miss Llewelyn French. I can remember a girl called Rita she lived at Woodseats and was what you would now call streetwise she had one brown eye and one hazel. I think she was expelled.We were all in 3c I think we had been given up on.

I don't remember any of the names you mentioned except that of Miss Stuart(Even now after nearly 70 years I can still see that wonderful jet black hair tied with a red ribbon).Since I don't remember even one student name I wonder if you were at Carfield starting in 1943 so that we would have been in the same "year"

The teachers that I recall are; Mr. Hill(Boys PT), Mr.Bolton(Math), Mr.Middleton(Science), Mr.Lyon(?).I can clearly see many other teachers(in my minds eye) but I am unable to attach names to them.Of course I remember the Headmaster Mr.Kay since I received four strokes of the cane from him(detailed in an earlier

post).

My dad went to Carfield at some point.... What age range are you talking about??

I was at Carfield School from 1942 to 1946. I remember Mr Lions.He used to read and explain Shakespeare to us. He knew it by heart and used to stand with his eyes shut quoting from The Merchant of Venice.In my class we had pupils from as far away as Wincobank and Wadsley Bridge,Darnall,Southey Green. A lot different to the system now.I can still remember the way we were taught French.Repeating verbs over and over again, still the best way I think.

I was at Carfield School from 1942 to 1946. I remember Mr Lions.He used to read and explain Shakespeare to us. He knew it by heart and used to stand with his eyes shut quoting from The Merchant of Venice.In my class we had pupils from as far away as Wincobank and Wadsley Bridge,Darnall,Southey Green. A lot different to the system now.I can still remember the way we were taught French.Repeating verbs over and over again, still the best way I think.

From your post I see that you started at Carfield a year earlier than I did. That probably explains why I didn't recognize any of the names in your post(from what I remember, students in the same year tended to stay and play together)

Talking about playing together reminds me of playing soccer in the playground. A Group of boys were down in the lower playground playing soccer with a tennis ball. Somehow the ball landed in the gutter of the school roof which was three stories above the asphalt covered playground. Since we didn't have a spare ball, the logic of the moment dictated that someone get the one in the gutter. I seized the moment to be a "Hero". I climbed the nearest drain pipe , went hand over hand along the gutter until I reached the ball. Holding on to the gutter with one hand I retrieved the ball with the other and casually tossed it to the waiting boys. I then retraced my path along the gutter and down the drainpipe.

Sixty two years after this event I still break out in a cold sweat when I think about what i did .

Another thing I remember about Carfield were the school meals.Considering that it was war time the meals weren't bad. One particular incident I remember concerned the rice pudding. Normally the consistency of the pudding was such that if you turned the plate over at just the right speed the pudding would adhere to the plate and none would spill. I tried this trick one day and ended up with a desk full of pudding. Evidently I did not turn at the correct speed or the cook used more milk than normal. Speaking of food, I particularly remember that the jam rolly- polly with custard was very good and was my favorite desert.I can still taste that hard crust and jam.

I was at Carfield from 1946 to 1951. Members of my year group I remember well were Denis Price, Peter Hall, Peter Clark, Alan Hebblethwaite, Kenneth Kirkland, Denis Morgan, Peter Fletcher, Walter Phillips, Bernard Buxton, Garry Pollard, Ian Kemlo, Roderick Fry, Alan Hinchliffe, Barry Hawley and several others whose names escape me. Among the girls were Shirley Rowbottom. Barbara Morritt, Delia Turner, Monica Dickinson but don't remember them so well as we were divided into boys and girls forms after year 2. From other years I remember Valerie Dearden, Jean Dempsey and Maureen Wilkinson. Think I remember Mavis Petch who posted earlier. Did she have red hair? Teachers I remember well: Mr Lyons: Mr Levy, history; Mrs Nott and Miss Varah, English; Mr Ellin; Miss Baker, art; Miss Jones and Mrs Fry . French; Mr Hastwell, handicrafts; Mr Middleton, science; Mr Askham, geography; Miss Stuart; Mr Kay of course: who could forget that commanding presence and the beard? Man Yak he was nicknamed by the seniors.

anyone remember Mr Wilde he always shouted HALT to quieten us down. Others remembered, Mr Dean &,Miss Ditchfield.