Meadowhall Retail Park car parking megathread

The other week my friend went to toys r us and parked in the car park (which he assumed was free) at around 8pm. The car park was practically empty.

He then went to the cinema with his daughter, came back to the car and drove off.

Today he has received a fine (with photographic evidence) showing that he stayed for 3 hours and 8 mins. Apparently you are only allowed to park here for 3 hours free of charge. For staying 8 mins longer than he should he has been fined £95 or £75 if he pays it within 7 days.

This is not council run but a company based down south.

My friend is not an idiot and he always accepts personally responsibility for his actions, but what he would like to know is that is the signage explaining this 3 hour limit plainly on display because he can’t remember seeing any?

Also, he has searched on the internet and a lot of people have complained about this company because everybody seems to be fined for being exactly 8 mins over due. But then again this just be co-incidence.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Do not pay,Do not pay! this is no more than an invoice.

go to http://www.pepipoo.com and have a read.they have no legal standing whatsoever.Do not respond keep all letters.They WILL go away.

I would look further into this as I am sure there are legal precidents about private car parks and that they can't force you to pay..

Not 100% sure tho.

They can take you to court if they have a case.

Having a case depends on it being a reasonable charge (it probably does fall within that), having reliable evidence about your parking (again, CCTV would be sufficient) and having clear signage up about the parking restrictions... It sounds from the descriptions like they may have failed to do this and so you would probably win in court.

in my opinion they should have restrictions on but only when the stores are open but when the stores are closed anyone should be able to park there especially when only going to be a few hours :|

It's their land, they probably don't care about your opinion.

Parking in a designated parking space infers acceptance of the laws in place.

Ignorance is not a defence.

I think they should be clamped - then let's see them worm out of paying for infringing the rules and regulations.Especially the ones who park and walk past the signs saying NO Arena parking as they wait to cross over the road.

sorry but you are talking nonesense! If its not a council ticket then there is NO law,nor any broken.Only mugs pay these invoices given out by crooks.

You really need to gen up on what IS law and what ISNT!

They can take you to court if they have a case.

Having a case depends on it being a reasonable charge (it probably does fall within that), having reliable evidence about your parking (again, CCTV would be sufficient) and having clear signage up about the parking restrictions... It sounds from the descriptions like they may have failed to do this and so you would probably win in court.

They cant take anyone to court unless they know who it is that was responsible for the offence.They have no legal standing,nor rights to ask.so if you dont tell them,good bye INVOICE.

If they stopped people going to the Arena parking in Centertainment (e.g. some sort of validation from the Centertainment venues) then no-one would need to park in the Carbrok car park.

They cant take anyone to court unless they know who it is that was responsible for the offence.They have no legal standing,nor rights to ask.so if you dont tell them,good bye INVOICE.

They can take the registered keeper to court as he/she is responsible for where the vehicle is parked whether they park it there or not.

The invoice has no legal standing, but a court will enforce it if the guidelines are met. They have every right to ask, just no ability beyond civil court to compel.

People who go to Aldi have cars? :o

They don't necessarily belong to them :hihi:

Yes I agree it is a nuisance when you're battling with a wonky-wheeled trolley ful of cheap booze in the pouring rain on a downhill car park because thoughtless drivers have parked as close as the can to the tramstop without actually parking on the tracks.

I also agree that once the shops are closed the parking restriction should be disregarded.

sorry but you are talking nonesense! If its not a council ticket then there is NO law,nor any broken.Only mugs pay these invoices given out by crooks.

You really need to gen up on what IS law and what ISNT!

If you park in a private car park against the signs indicating what the conditions are and you get clamped then you're not in much of a position to argue about the legality are you (and clamping is legal if correctly signed).

"Firstly and most simply �" contractual penalties. When you park in the car park and over-stay or misuse the facilities in some way you breach your contract with the land owner. The terms state you will not overstay or misuse the facilities, these are terms on which your contract for parking is based, thus when you do something contrary to these terms you breach the contract. The common law holds that the remedy for breach of contract is damages. Therefore the land owner is entitled to damages covering the costs incurred as a result of your breaching the contract"

A direct quote from pepipo... now where does it say that its illegal to issue an invoice.

If you were legitimately using the car park to go about business in the retail park and cinema area, then I'd complain to the relevant places which you were conducting business in about the fine.

If you just use it as a free place to park whilst going into town, then accept it and pay up. You can use the park and ride off the parkway to go into town.

Yes but surely the damages are merely the price of the ticket, ie about £2.