Meadowhall Retail Park car parking megathread

Yes but surely the damages are merely the price of the ticket, ie about £2.

But there are no tickets - so the "landlord" could claim damages as the cost of surveillance and parking attendants. The level of the charge is debatable but regardless of what any one spouts, even Pepipo agree you have entered a contract.

All they do is tell you to a) question the content of the notice for legality

b)contest the level of fine.

Neither of which show that private parking agencies are illegal.

But there are no tickets - so the "landlord" could claim damages as the cost of surveillance and parking attendants. The level of the charge is debatable but regardless of what any one spouts, even Pepipo agree you have entered a contract.

All they do is tell you to a) question the content of the notice for legality

b)contest the level of fine.

Neither of which show that private parking agencies are illegal.

I meant literally the cost of manufacture of the ticket because thats the only thing the ticket provider has forked out for. Surely they can't charge you for lost revinue due to you filling a parking space, how could that be worked out. Its the damages bit I dont understand.

I can however see how the surviellance and attendants costs can be enforced though.

I meant literally the cost of manufacture of the ticket because thats the only thing the ticket provider has forked out for. Surely they can't charge you for lost revinue due to you filling a parking space, how could that be worked out. Its the damages bit I dont understand.

I can however see how the surviellance and attendants costs can be enforced though.

I think the "fine" is a bit steep which is what dodgers try to play on when they dispute the fine.

Just whip the number plates off till you are off their property - problem solved - no proof it was your car leaving! :hihi:

I have never had a parking ticket because I am on a motorbike, I do often park on pavements to save a parking space for a car, but if I do get a ticket, I am armed with all this info I found.

Read this before you pay.

I cant get the exact link but it is in the forums section of http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/ just search for parking fines and all will be revealed, you may need to register tho.

a truly invaluable site if you have any consumer problems from bank charges to parking fines

HTH

Thank you everybody for your advice.

Just to keep you updated. My friend has met up with another person who has been fined in this car park.

Basically he has been advised to contest the charge in writing. According to law, the company should look into this matter and deal with it appropriately. However they will not do this. They will simply keep sending letters out saying you should pay the fine.

Eventually a debt collection agency will come out but legally they can’t take anything because you have disputed the ticket.

At this stage you then threaten to sue the company for wasting your time and they totally drop the matter. They have no interest in trying to resolve disputed tickets so they would sooner try and bully the money out of you and if you refuse they will eventually leave you alone.

Anywho, I’ll keep you posted.

If you were legitimately using the car park to go about business in the retail park and cinema area, then I'd complain to the relevant places which you were conducting business in about the fine.
But if you are parked in the Retail car park but go to Centretainment is that not like someone parking on your drive but visiting your neighbour? :suspect:

If you have been using it as a free car park then you should swallow the fine and shut up about it in my opinion- your using there car park when its for customers only.

If your legitimately shopping there and you have a ticket then thats when you should complaign?

I can't see what people are moaning about?

the owners of the retail park have to prove that they suffered a financial loss as a result of you parking there,if it was a busy time of day and the car park was full they would have cause to fine you,but as it was late and most of the shops would have been closed they will find it very difficult to prove your actions caused any loss

the owners of the retail park have to prove that they suffered a financial loss as a result of you parking there

Not sure about this comment.

At the end of the day it's private land and the owners are well within there rights to put rules in place regarding parking, as far as the penalty charge goes they will says the costs incurred are for camera surveillance & administration etc.

Dear Sirs,

Re: Your letter dated [dd/mmmm/yyyy] Reference[#]

I acknowledge receipt of your captioned letter. It seems that you have got my details from the DVLA and I confirm I am the keeper of the vehicle in question. You need to take this matter up with the driver concerned.

In the meantime I absolutely deny your claim that the amount claimed, or any amount at all, is due to you from me.

Yours faithfully

from CAG, link --> http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/119802-private-parking-tickets-template.html

They can not persue it, you are not required to admit you were the driver and e.....actually, read the posts for yourself...

Who was driving it is irrelevant, it's your car and it was parked on their land.

However they are in the wrong if the restrictions are not prominently sign posted.