Meadowhall Retail Park car parking megathread

this happened to my brother.

he parked in the car park, went to go shopping around the stores

and walked across to the centertainment

and received a fine for 75£

pretty ridiculous to say he spent quite abit of money in toys r us buyin playstations games n that.

plus.. when it comes to christmas more than 3hours may be needed!!

anything to get money off us!

xx

I read a good tactic on another forum (I think). Write back to them and tell them to either take court action against you within 14 days or cease their harassment. State that any further action other than court action will be considered harassment and reported to the police.

Someone who did this stopped receiving letters immediately.

btw im at the same stage as you newvanandman.

That wasnt a ticket i got,unfortunatly im a 'billy no ticket'.

That is someone elses layout of how they have found events to date.

One word says it all.....IGNORE!!!!

I got a letter today from G24 claiming I had parked for 1,222 minutes there! My husband called at McDonalds at 23.00hrs last Monday. On Tuesday we called at the pet food shop at around 7pm. G24 are claiming we were there from the Monday all the way through to the next day!!!

Hubby didn't even park when he went to McDonalds, just used the drive thru and came straight home.

You can't ring the number to protest, you've got to write to them, involving time to write the letter and the price of a stamp!

Not sure if ignoring it will do any good. Has anyone written in to protest about this and received a satisfactory outcome?

Not sure if ignoring it will do any good. Has anyone written in to protest about this and received a satisfactory outcome?

There have been numerous threads here where some people including myself have suggested that these penalties are ignored. There hasn't been anyone to my knowledge who has been taken to court successfully by these parking charge crooks. Maybe someone can prove me wrong but in the meantime, just ignore it, I always do.

Just following on from reading this. Classic Rock received a fine letter from this company (see post) today I rang the number on the letter to complain about this as it says we stayed there for 1,222 mins!!!! Rang up, spoke to the lady, and she said "Looks like you spent the night in the car park" I said it was wrong and she just cancelled it there and then. Can I just ask What is the point of just ignoring these letters???? If you are in the wrong then pay up. If you know that the company has made a mistake then ring them and talk about it. DONT just ignore them!!! I think it might be an English thing to just sweep things under the carpet and hope it goes away. If you do have a letter sat there and you know it is incorrect then ring them up. They dont bite!!!

Just following on from reading this. Classic Rock received a fine letter from this company (see post) today I rang the number on the letter to complain about this as it says we stayed there for 1,222 mins!!!! Rang up, spoke to the lady, and she said "Looks like you spent the night in the car park" I said it was wrong and she just cancelled it there and then. Can I just ask What is the point of just ignoring these letters???? If you are in the wrong then pay up. If you know that the company has made a mistake then ring them and talk about it. DONT just ignore them!!! I think it might be an English thing to just sweep things under the carpet and hope it goes away. If you do have a letter sat there and you know it is incorrect then ring them up. They dont bite!!!
Ok, in that instance it is quite clearly wrong but in the instances where parking companies are clearly profiteering by picking on people who have made mistakes they rarely give in and so it's best to ignore them and in my experience, it works. I'm not suggesting that people brush everything they don't like the sound of under the carpet, just car park tickets.

You can't ring the number to protest, you've got to write to them, involving time to write the letter and the price of a stamp!

Send it without a stamp, and put THEIR address on the back as well. They'll have to pay the postage and the £1 fine!

picking on people who have made mistakes they rarely give in and so it's best to ignore them and in my experience, it works.
Mistakes??? If you had parked on a street run by the council, where you pay at a machine and display a ticket for 1 hour. You return after 90 mins to find a fine ticket on your windscreen, what would you do??? Would you ignore them??? The Meadowhall Retail Park display signs stating that there is a 3 hour parking time. Over this you will be fined. They could put machines in there charging by the hour but instead they dont. If you decide to stay over that time then you should pay the fine. If it is a mistake as both Classic and myself have found then ring them up, DONT just ignore it!!! Yes the fine is set at a ridiculous amount but that is the point.

Mistakes??? If you had parked on a street run by the council, where you pay at a machine and display a ticket for 1 hour. You return after 90 mins to find a fine ticket on your windscreen, what would you do??? Would you ignore them??? The Meadowhall Retail Park display signs stating that there is a 3 hour parking time. Over this you will be fined. They could put machines in there charging by the hour but instead they dont. If you decide to stay over that time then you should pay the fine. If it is a mistake as both Classic and myself have found then ring them up, DONT just ignore it!!! Yes the fine is set at a ridiculous amount but that is the point.
I'm talking about private firms in car parks.

same thing!!! If you over stay then you should be prepared to pay the fixed fine, council of private!!! or you could stick your head in the sand!!

same thing!!! If you over stay then you should be prepared to pay the fixed fine, council of private!!! or you could stick your head in the sand!!
It's not sticking my head in the sand, I know it will go away if I ignore it because the parking companies won't risk losing a court case as it will set a precedent and that is how civil law works. If the overstay penalties were a reasonable amount I might pay but they often charge more than a motorist would pay for a "proper" dangerous offence such as careless driving and demand money with menaces when they don't have a court judgement. The fact that some people think that is reasonable is just playing into the hands of these bullies.