Would you move to Catcliffe

I would really appreciate people's experiance and opinion's on moving to catcliffe, my close friend has seen a house to rent there and it is one that was under water last year. we went to look at it and it is lovely but we can't help thinking it's a bit of a risk with the floods last year. The house was not hit in the 2000 floods but was last year if she got this house what sort of insurance is she going to have to pay with it been council will there be a back up? and in genaral what is catcliffe like to live in schools etc. would she constantly be cacking her self every time it rained. How have people who were hit moved on and how do they feel about living there now? the lady who lived in the house before lived there 75 years and only got hit this once, and it was freak was'nt it? but do the people of catcliffe think it may happen again, advise and opnions please and is their any websites or forum discussions about this that any one knows had a quick look threw sf but did'nt find much probably missed it though knowing me so any links please.

Hi tifftifco2

me and my boyfriend had an offer accepted that we made on a house in Catcliffe last May. Everything was going through fine until the floods! After much discussion we decided to pull out of the sale, even though the house we were buying wasn't flooded it was very close!

The house was absolutely lovely but we didn't feel we could take the risk and thought everytime it rained we would be petrified our house would flood!

Not only that, there's the insurance issue. Some insurers wont insure people moving to the area and will only insure people who were already insured. You can safely bet you will be paying a HUGE insurance premium too!

As for the area of Catcliffe, in my opinion it's really nice with good schools and amenities etc. Like I say we decided not to take the risk but you may be a little bit braver than us!

Good luck anyway

i know someone that lives in catcliffe and has done for years, had no problems. they didnt have any trouble with the floods. things can go wrong anywhere i suppose!

personally, unless I had a sub marine I wouldn't consider it. I work for one of the contruction firms repairing them after the floods. The mess and smell was beyond beleif.

The chances are that insurance will be rediculously high or not available. The floods last year were compounded by the pumping out of the reservoir, otherwise all the houses would have been dry, except a certain few that may have been affected by the sewers flooding up. We live just up the road from Catcliffe and 24 hours before they started pumping out the reservoir we could get down to the roundabout and walk along Treeton lane with only the stretch of road by the Flash layby being under water at that time.

It's not the best area to live, but it's not the worst either. The school seems fairly nice and is in between the best are worst sides of the village so you will get kids from all backgrounds there. There seems to be very few ethnic minorities living in the village. There's a couple of ok pubs, chinese, pharmacy, shop, church, oap village, village hall, and rec ground all within minutes walk of either end of the village. The buses into Rotherham and Sheffield are fairly regular too.

The railway, Parkway and M1 all bridge Catcliffe which is always tempting for daft teenagers to explore.

Depending on your friends circumstances, I personally wouldn't rule it out without checking out the insurance situation first. Maybe suggest they have a look on Confused.com using the property postcode as a general guide to premium price.

:)

Used to live in Catcliffe - we were shocked when the new houses were buillt, as that area has flloded regularly as long as I can remember.

Hi,

I had to respond to this as I live in Catcliffe!

I think your friend will be fine to rent in Catcliffe. The floods of last year were a one off due to the pumping out of millions of gallons of water from the Ulley reservoir. All this excess water had to go somewhere and it flowed down the valley and into Catcliffe where caravans and wheelie bins were turned into boats!

I live in the new bit of Catcliffe, Blue Mans Court, and not a single property here was affected by the flooding. Within this development there a few houses and flats to rent and I think for your friend this would be ideal. Take a look at this link - (may need to cut and paste)

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/my-neighbours/neighbourhood-profile/l/S60+5ur.html

To prove the point to doubters about the risk with living in Catcliffe, our house insurance was cheaper this year than last. Home and contents comes in at around £320 pa, so contents insurance should be very cheap.

The neighbourhood is very quiet and the people are all very friendly. I cannot comment on schools as we have no children, yet….

I cannot recommend Catcliffe enough, search To Let within Blue Mans Court and your friend will be absolutely happy. Good links to Sheffield, Rotherham and the M1.

Do not worry about flooding, do not listen to hear say or read comments from people who do not know, I lived through the floods in Catcliffe and we remained dry and remain very happy staying here!

( The local Morrisons is horrid though)

We have friends who live on Blue Mans Way. They like it the house is lovely and they didnt flood. They havnt had a problem insuring their property. The only issue they had was an attempted burglary.

Get a proper answer - ask an insurance broker. No doubt there will be one in or near Catcliffe with plenty of real world experience.

Perople seem to forget that before housing was built there it was used as flooding fields for Orgreave pit so why did they build there in the first place seems a bit crazy