Cockaynes department store, Angel St

Hi Xenia

I know Max Cockayne as he was known. He is not related to our family as far back as I can trace.

Before Porter Wright, he was the proprietor of White Favell and Cockayne, who traded in Church street close by the Cutlers Hall, wine and spirit merchants and cigar importers.

You will understand that I cannot discuss any personal details about Lomax Cockayne on Forum.

John Cockayne

Hi Xenia

I know Max Cockayne as he was known. He is not related to our family as far back as I can trace.

Before Porter Wright, he was the proprietor of White Favell and Cockayne, who traded in Church street close by the Cutlers Hall, wine and spirit merchants and cigar importers.

You will understand that I cannot discuss any personal details about Lomax Cockayne on Forum.

John Cockayne

You mean your family was the "Real Cockaynes" family that were all talking about ? :o

Hi John , Looks like i'm the only one to answer to have worked for T B &W Cockanes, my headmaster got me the job as an apprentice cabinet maker at in 1937/8, it was a good firm to work for, although l was not very pleased with my wage , 9shillings a week ,[45 pence] but worth 100 pence in those days, before decimalisation came and reduced our money from 240 pence to 100 pence in the £1, over night,lt was very hard work for a little'un the workshop was at the top of Angel yard, as it was called probably because the residential hotel called the Angel was at the bottom on Angel st, there were 2 flights of steps ,up the first was the sawmill a man called Bill Merrit was the boss , then up to the cabinet shop, there were 17 benches all occupied, l can see them all in my minds eye,mr Dobson [no christian name allowed for boys] Ted Cousins, John and Ernest,Bill , Frank , Tom , to name a few there was 16 glue kettles to check and fill first , then sweep round the benches, clear round 2 circular saws, put 2 big kettles of water on the open fire then ask all of them if they required anything fetching from the shops ,Davy's for pork pies & sandwiches, down Dixon lane with a "morning" to big Ada at the top, fruit from just lower down , chemists, post, bank, and so on, till my2 bags and my apron pocket was all full, stagger back, dish out their change, not a a half penny short or trouble, then collect all the mugs and mashings[tea and sugar ] ram sticks under the kettles if not boiling, mash and deliver, then eat my lunch and fall asleep many a time , halfhour over when the buzzer went, after lunch one day Bill Gillam said that cocoa was breakfast next time dinner cocoa [you can guess the rest] ln the afternoon l sometimes fetched timber from the mill below, but mostly helped ,and watched the men, and did little jobs, 5 o'clock and first down the steps and ask if any vans were going my way [ once l had a ride]then clock out, go home have dinner and promtly fall asleep , there are so many memories of my time there but l enjoyed those days, Well John if l go on much more i'll fall asleep Cheers Arthur.ps Jimmy Cockayne was nice, always said hello,

Edited by Arfer Mo
deletethispart

I was a van lad at Cockaynes in 1958 it was my first job on leaving school Mr Elson was the transport manager my driver was George Walker one of the packers was Jack Roebuck. I went with my first girlfriend who worked in the tube room she used to bring me sweets every day the only problem was she was about a foot taller than me and I felt a right narna walking beside her, I think her name was Marie

One of the leaders of our Girls Life Brigade worked at Cockaynes. This would be in the

60's. I can't remember her first name. I knew her as Miss Coddington.

I've only just found this thread. Mum worked at Cockaynes in the china dept. for about nine weeks in 1940 with Mr Shackleton head of dept and Miss Green (head of sales?). Prior to the Blitz, Cockaynes had already had its windows blown out. Mum remembers arriving at work the following day to find the display models laying in the rubble and seeing an expensive handbag being picked out of the debris by a passer-by. Thursday morning, 12 Dec, had been spent in the stock room sorting out the Christmas stock and putting out on display ready for the following day. The china, which had arrived in wicker baskets and packed in straw, were unpacked and then cleaned. After work that night, Mum went to visit relatives in Gleadless. As the raid started, they stood outside looking at the glow in the sky as Sheffield burned. The following morning, there were no trams running so Mum and her grandfather walked down into the city centre not knowing what they would find. Her grandfather commented that he hoped Cockaynes had not had its windows blown out again. She remembers walking across planks of wood trying to stay out of the ice cold puddles left from putting out the fires and seeing a dismembered foot in a boot. When she got to work, she found the shop was gone. Mum then walked on home to Shiregreen passing three tram cars burnt out outside of C&A, which had its frontage all burned. She remembers a sweet shop in Spittal Hill with its window blown out and sweets scattered over the pavement with folks helping themselves. A wwek or so later Mum went over to Netheredge to collect wages her wages, and whilst stood waiting in the queue Mrs Cockayne brought out cups of tea. After this Mum initially approached TB&W Cockaynes to see if there was still a job for her but Mr Shackleton said that there were only a couple of them working there and that they weren't taking on any ladies. They only had one outside toilet, no hot water and the toilet, which was also used by men from the pub up the road, was filthy. However, if Mum knew anything about needlework, the store at Broomhill may have a vacancy and so that's where she went, working with a Miss Jolly under a Miss Cauldwell, the manageress.

hi does anyone remember a woman called june that worked there cant remember her married surname but before she married she was june thomas

Dear Charlie616

Sorry about the delay in replying.

My father, Jimmy Cockayne, was the MD of Cockaynes store during the war. I was only three and, being so young, blissfully unaware of the worldwide disasters of WW2.

After the store was flattened, it must have been a real struggle to start trading again. I suppose that someone had the foresight to keep the names and addresses of about 500 staff at another address because every scrap of paper at Angel Street was burnt.

Also all the stock was destroyed and there was a general shortage of goods to sell and rationing.

So the task would be to find alternative premises and retain as many staff as circumstances permitted and restock with what could be obtained.

I know that the firm was almost bust because my father recounted how they had to tour round the branches on Friday to collect the cash to pay the wages.

By 1946, there were branches in all sorts of locations, some quite bizarre.

Millinery and fashions, Ladies shoes - 1st floor Grand Hotel:

Lady's and Children's Outfitting, Overalls and Neckwear -Cinema House and Glossop Road:

Furniture, Bedding at 125 London Rd:

Wools, Cottons and Craftwork threads and Millinery at Broomhill:

Furnishings and Carpets, Gentleman's outfitting at the Grand Hotel ground floor:

Linens and piece goods, Haberdashery, Leather goods, Perfumery at the Cinema House:

Glass and China and Ironmongery at 212 &214 West St:

Electrical department at 194 London Rd:

Restaurant on top floor of the Blind Institute in Mappin St:

Hairdressing And Beauty treatments at 417 Ecclesall Rd.

After obtaining licences for scarce building materials, planning consent and raising extra capital, it was possible to build the first two floors on the new store in Angel St and open in January 1949. The other three floors were completed in 1955.

Hello John - it's interesting to read about your father's recollections; I met you both in the early 1970s when I worked at the Midland Bank. If your history of the store is/has been published I would certainly be interested in a copy!.:)

Hi Hillsbro,

Please be patient. Writing this history is probably be about two years away from completion.

Your interest is encouraging.

Cockayne

Hi Hillsbro,

Please be patient. Writing this history is probably be about two years away from completion.

Your interest is encouraging.

Cockayne

I seem to remember going into town in1960 from my school in Pitsmoor to see American pop star Ereddie Cannon open Cockaynes . However I see some posters on hers worked there in 1958 and 1959. Am I imagining this ,or was it the ABC cinema he was opening? It was definitely Angel Street

I seem to remember going into town in1960 from my school in Pitsmoor to see American pop star Ereddie Cannon open Cockaynes . However I see some posters on hers worked there in 1958 and 1959. Am I imagining this ,or was it the ABC cinema he was opening? It was definitely Angel Street

The ABC cinema was opened on 18th May 1961 with the premiere of 'Don't bother to knock.' It starred Richard Todd and he was there at its opening.

It may have been that you remember.

echo.