Cockaynes department store, Angel St

Hi, thanks Ginger. I'll try and get mum to remember some names, she would have been in her late 20s, early 30s when she worked there. She loved it. Her name is Joy Eyre, so if you think of anyone I'd be grateful for any information. She was the last salesgirl, I remembered her telling me when I read your stuff about that. She said she hardly ever got any customers. It seems a weird way now for retail staff to work. We left Sheffield in 1959 and came to live in Australia, but the roots go way back.

Cheers

Jacqui

my mum used to work there up to about 1970

Hi thanks for your message. My mum left there in 1959, was your mum there then?

Jacqui

I remember Cockayne's being relocated to Glossop Road, Broomhill in the early 50's after being blitzed out of the city centre. They had a row of about 6 shops between Peel Street and the Mount.

Incidentally the Mount , a huge building, was occupied by the department store John Walsh at that time.

I thought that the Walsh's family lived at The Mount it being their family home. didn't know the shop was there too.

I used to pass it going to school on the no 60 bus I remember a small lake/pond in front of it and thinking how rich you would have to be to live there.

hazel

I remember Cockayne's being relocated to Glossop Road, Broomhill in the early 50's after being blitzed out of the city centre. They had a row of about 6 shops between Peel Street and the Mount.

Incidentally the Mount , a huge building, was occupied by the department store John Walsh at that time.

I met a very posh old guy many years ago whos family home used to be The Mount, I believe that they were wine importers.

One thing I liked about Cockaynes also is that the staff didn't look down on you like the Walshes staff did, the staff at Walshes thought who they were,

If you came in from the rain and went upstairs to use Walshes lavs on the top floor, the women would give you terrible looks because they knew you weren't there to buy, just to use their precious lavs :roll:

Oh! What bargins I still have from Cockaynes :love:

i worked in the Tube room at cockaynes in 1956 you had to work in the tube room before you got a position on the Shop floor or in the offices I work in the offices with Miss Berry and Leila I was the Junior shorthand Typist the M.D. was Mr Parkes and the manager was Mr Brooksbank everything was so proper and everyone knew thier place but a lovely place to work happy days

anniegray53

I had an aunt worked there, Ada Hayes, this would probably be 60s though.

my mum worked there until it was bombed ,i dont think she returned when it was rebuilt but i remember her telling me she walked to work from carbrook just to find it had been flattened to the ground but i know she had many happy memories of working there early war years j.....

Thank you to Greybeard, hazel, hillsbro, ginger, poppins, ironmonger and annie gray for sharing your memories. It seems that they were mainly happy ones. If I get round to writing a history of the store, the experiences of the people that worked there will merit a chapter or two.

Keep ypur memories coming please

John Cockayne

Are you by any chance related to James Lomax Cockayne? He was the MD of Porter Wright and Company of Millsands. His wife was a keen golfer and they had a daughter who would be aged about 60 now. I worked for Mr Cockayne for a short time in the 1960s and wondered if he was still around and if so how he was.

Thank you to Greybeard, hazel, hillsbro, ginger, poppins, ironmonger and annie gray for sharing your memories. It seems that they were mainly happy ones. If I get round to writing a history of the store, the experiences of the people that worked there will merit a chapter or two.

Keep ypur memories coming please

John Cockayne