Cockaynes department store, Angel St

Originally Posted by denise853b View Post

Does anyone remember Marylin Goulding working for the shop

Or Beatrice Newton.

or Michael White

My dad (Gordon Ward) was a Painter and Decorator for Cockaynes and was always full of stories about his work-place. He seemed to have been happy there and made lots of friends. I never heard him complain about his job, or the store.

Around 1963 Sheffield held a Shopping Festival. My friend Janet Dickinson who worked at Cockaynes, selling separates, was crowned Festival Queen. It was great publicity for the store and Janet had a wonderful year. Her aunt, Miss Dickinson was a buyer  at the store.

I have an item of furniture from here does anyone know anything about this company...tb&w cockayne furnishers

Edited by Donnastan

On 02/04/2008 at 20:17, hazel said:

Can't help with before the war as I was 3 when it started but as I was on my way to Infant School I would pass and play on the pile of rubble which was Cockaynes. I remember there were a few wells around there too, we would drop stones and listen for the splash.

But as a young women I used the store quite a bit. Very good store from which I bought clothes and my engagement ring from their second hand jewellry counter.

hazel

m mum worked there in the war sh worked when the moor was bombed she went to work to find it all gone 

On 02/04/2008 at 15:13, cockayne said:

Can any one help me with prewar memories of the staff or photos of the original store in Angel Street, which was bombed flat during the Sheffield blitz?

I am gathering material for a history of the store.

John Cockayne

Hi John,  sorry for my late reply.  Did you manage to put together a history of the store?  My Mum was a Cockayne.  She used to talk fondly of the store