The George and Dragon,Ecclesfield

yes george went to the pub,and was asked were is his dragon,he replied at home ironing

In 1877 it was Esau Lee who, was also Ecclesfield Parish Clerk.

Nigel, Thank you for that extra snippet of information, I knew that Esau LEE was the landlord in 1877 and also a pork butcher but I had no idea he was also the parish clerk.

Esau LEE was from Mosbrough and was the son of Thomas LEE who built the Crown Inn at Mosbrough. Thomas LEE was my GGgrandfather.

Tuppie

Sorry to be a long to time after other posts, my great great grandfather Edward Fawley was landlord of the George and dragon apparently until his death in 1926 when he was 81. How long it was open after that i have no idea and was wondering if after his death it closed. He was also a file maker and had a file cutters workshop just up Townend after the what was the griffin. My grandfather lived with him after his mother died when he was 14 and his father remarried and moved away to Hoyland. He died in 1975 (harry Pearson) and only mentioned once where they had a file cutters workshop and the property is still there  (now a private house)

2 hours ago, Paul Gardner said:

Sorry to be a long to time after other posts, my great great grandfather Edward Fawley was landlord of the George and dragon apparently until his death in 1926 when he was 81. How long it was open after that i have no idea and was wondering if after his death it closed. He was also a file maker and had a file cutters workshop just up Townend after the what was the griffin. My grandfather lived with him after his mother died when he was 14 and his father remarried and moved away to Hoyland. He died in 1975 (harry Pearson) and only mentioned once where they had a file cutters workshop and the property is still there  (now a private house)

Arthur James Fawley took the tenancy over from Edward Spencer in 1921, the magistrates also allowed for some minor alterations to the pub....however Edward Fawley died there on December 15th, 1926....my assumption is that Arthur is Edward's son.

The pub was closed in 1931. It was owned by Tennant Brothers.

It came up for sale...on account of Mr A Fawley leaving the district and the redundancy of the license.

Having had a quick look I can't see any evidence that Edward was the landlord, he lived there as an old man but Arthur was the tenant.

When Edward died he was the owner of 10 cottages on Yew Lane Ecclesfield plus several packets of land.

Another report I found from 1917 said....

"Sapper Arthur James Fawley, Royal Engineers, son of Edward Fawley of Yew Lane is in hospital in France suffering from dangerous wounds in the left eye"

He was hospitalised later the same year with trench fever.

Edited by sadbrewer

Hello 

thanks for this information as I have been looking for clarity about the pub - i was surprised that he was resident at the pub especially considering his age but if his son was running the pub it explains why he was there. Arthur James Fawley is Edwards oldest son, Edward inherited property from his father - the nail making and file making workshop at 64 Town end road,  now called file cutters cottage was of of them and he also lived on Stocks hill /yew lane because my grandfather said his room was at the top which is interesting as he had limited mobility and needed to walk with calipers and a stick.

4 hours ago, Paul Gardner said:

Hello 

thanks for this information as I have been looking for clarity about the pub - i was surprised that he was resident at the pub especially considering his age but if his son was running the pub it explains why he was there. Arthur James Fawley is Edwards oldest son, Edward inherited property from his father - the nail making and file making workshop at 64 Town end road,  now called file cutters cottage was of of them and he also lived on Stocks hill /yew lane because my grandfather said his room was at the top which is interesting as he had limited mobility and needed to walk with calipers and a stick.

It seems filecutting was a local speciality, there was an Ecclesfield File Cutters Association  that apparently had a hand in the election of Sir Frederick Mappin as MP in 1896.

Prior to the file cutting the Fawleys were nailmakers, there was a libel case in 1869 between brothers  James and Charles Fawley that was a bit acrimonious.

There is a lot in the British Newspaper Archive about Fawleys in business all over the area, but I just found one that you may be very interested in, apparently Arthur Fawley borrowed £100 from his brother in law Walter Pearson in order to take the George & Dragon....Walter had to take him to Court to get it back.

The Judge said Arthur had committed "wilful and corrupt perjury in court"