Zimbabwe elections

What I'm trying to get at:

Why is everyone saying we should get Mugabe out when you can see the reaction to when we went in to Iraq? What's the difference?

I'm with you here. If we oust Mugabe we would merely have done it because it's the morally right thing to do. However, do the same with Saddam and everyone points at the oil (rightly or wrongly). The morality of both is remarkably similar.

The Times summed this up with a cracking cartoon last week. Titled "War on Terror", it showed heavy bombers flying down from the Atlantic, over Zimbabwe and up to Iraq and Afghanistan. Hardly an all out war on terror, is it?!

I'm with you here. If we oust Mugabe we would merely have done it because it's the morally right thing to do. However, do the same with Saddam and everyone points at the oil (rightly or wrongly). The morality of both is remarkably similar.

The Times summed this up with a cracking cartoon last week. Titled "War on Terror", it showed heavy bombers flying down from the Atlantic, over Zimbabwe and up to Iraq and Afghanistan. Hardly an all out war on terror, is it?!

Thanks for that. That's pretty much what I was meaning. Everyone had a problem with us going in to Iraq, yet managed to get rid of a tyrant. These same people are now wanting us to go in to Zimbabwe to do the same.

I find it a bit... two-faced perhaps? Can't think of a better description.

Thanks for that. That's pretty much what I was meaning. Everyone had a problem with us going in to Iraq, yet managed to get rid of a tyrant. These same people are now wanting us to go in to Zimbabwe to do the same.

I find it a bit... two-faced perhaps? Can't think of a better description.

I think two-faced is fair. The people who complained about Iraq are the same ones who preach about people's rights and insist the UN do something in Zimbabwe - complete hypocrisy.

Any news?

Do we know who has won?

Something dawned on me this morning when I was reading the Metro. Everyone is asking why we can't get rid of Mugabe? I've said it myself, "We could send the SAS in a sort it out in a matter of seconds".

It's all based around how he's treated his people and ruled his country, basically being a complete b**tard to everyone.

My thought was, isn't this the same as what we tried to do in Iraq? People talk about an illegal war and we should pull our troops out and leave the people to it etc.

What's the difference between getting Mugabe out and what happened in the Middle East?

The difference is I don't think you'll find there is any oil in Zimbabwe :hihi: We would not be interested in intervening because there wouldn't be any spoils for us.

The only thing I can say is that at 84 how much longer can this evil man last.....lets hope its not too long.

That's a non story though Loncol. When purchasing shares in Shell, Unilever, Tesco, or Barclays, their Zimbabwean political policy is hardly on your list of things to check.

When did you last go to Tesco? Does your car, bus, train or your electricity supplier use fuel from Shell? ;)

That's a non story though Loncol. When purchasing shares in Shell, Unilever, Tesco, or Barclays, their Zimbabwean political policy is hardly on your list of things to check.

When did you last go to Tesco? Does your car, bus, train or your electricity supplier use fuel from Shell? ;)

I agree it is hardly newsworthy. It sounds like someone trying desperately to make any political capital they can. I have to confess to having shares in several of the companies named. Until reading this post I was totally unaware that they had ay dealings in Zimbabwe. There again I suspect that most companies have dealing with unsavoury governments. You only have to look where oil comes from to see that you need to rub shoulders with people who you perhaps would prefer to avoid if that were possible.

What never seems to get reported from Zimbabwe is the plight of the white population, who have been persecuted almost since the day Mugabi took over. Their number have dropped by 95% and many have fled with nothing.

Isn't that what we called ethnic cleansing when it happened in Cosovo?

What its like in Zimbabwe at present there is very little food or petrol to even drive aa the boarders to Botswanna or South S.Africa. The food they have is roots from the ground and not alot else. Food is no existant and yes in the rural areas people are dying , Malnutrician is prevelant , this has not been broad cast I Have many friends who i have spoken with there on this issue and I don't see how the talks they are having are helping feed these people.

What never seems to get reported from Zimbabwe is the plight of the white population, who have been persecuted almost since the day Mugabi took over. Their number have dropped by 95% and many have fled with nothing.

That white farmers' situation has been reported extensively by the British media over the years.

That white farmers' situation has been reported extensively by the British media over the years.

But what about the one's who aren't farmers. They are the one's who are being forced out of the country.