Zimbabwe elections

Guest Mod_Man

It's not looking good. I reckon Mugabe's up to something again. After early reports suggested a landslide for the MDC then a quiet yesterday to it now being an equal split. I'm aware the rural areas like Mugabe but I just can't understand why any one would vote him in again, are they mad?

Here's my favourite Mugabe quote;

"We don't rig elections. I cannot sleep with my conscience if I have rigged."
But starving your people is like Horlicks apparently.

So, do you think he will go or will he find some way of holding on to power? If he does stay are Africans on the whole pretty dumb? I'm really failing to understand them, from the citizens to leaders in surrounding countries, to consider Mugabe a hero (as many African leaders do) is a very skewed view, surely they should just get together and have the man out?

What do you think, have I simply misunderstood Mugabe and his African friends?

I was in Zimbabwe earlier this year, the general consensus was that Mugabe had to go, the people were genuinely fed up with what's happening.

I would like him to go, but can see him holding onto power somehow unfortunately. Africans aren't dumb, but it's not the same situation as it is here. Nasty things have happened to people who stand in the way of people like Mugabe (and indeed who have stood up to Mugabe), very few help them due to the fear of being targeted next.

maybe Mugabe knows something that we don't know. Like his doctor saying he's only got a year or two, in which case he can magnaminously concede defeat, resign, and head to the airport for Switzerland and, like many a retired Marxist before him, think about what to do with the double digit number of billions of dollars (American ones, not Zimbabwe ones) that he's stolen off his own people.

I'm really failing to understand them, from the citizens to leaders in surrounding countries, to consider Mugabe a hero (as many African leaders do) is a very skewed view, surely they should just get together and have the man out?
Mugabe is exceedingly popular in rural bits due to him stealing big farms from white people and giving them to local subsistence farmers. He failed to realise that subsistence farmers would fail to make a go of commercial farms; so while the farmers love him everyone else is going hungry and getting angrier every minute.

Now I almost-kinda-sorta support his theft (why should the sons of colonialists have the pick of Zimbabwe's farmland?), but his utter botching of the aftermath has starved millions, caused an exodus and given the economy a million percent inflation; he has to go. If he doesn't go of his own free will he can expect a bullet.

Guest Mod_Man

Now I almost-kinda-sorta support his theft (why should the sons of colonialists have the pick of Zimbabwe's farmland?), but his utter botching of the aftermath has starved millions, caused an exodus and given the economy a million percent inflation; he has to go. If he doesn't go of his own free will he can expect a bullet.

I agree with this completely. I was all for him kicking the white farmers out when I first heard about it then I spoke to a few Zimbabwean colleagues who simply asked "who will run the farms?", they were pretty spot on in their prediction.

it might be an idea to allow farmers that can farm to farm who in Zimbabwe's case were the tiny (less than 2%) number of the population that happened to be white - rather than give the land to people that didn't have the first clue what to do with it.

That way people will be able to eat the food that they grow, sell it overseas, and the government can tax the farmers incomes and disburse it.

All that was lost, of course, on Zanu/PF.

The opposition leader has announced that he will not be standing against Mugabe in order to prevent more bloodshed

The b.strd has won by murdering his opponents

its his best option....he stood no chance in a 'fair' election.

The opposition have asked the UN and the African Union to intervene in order to prevent "genocide"

Story here

"We don't rig elections. I cannot sleep with my conscience if I have rigged."

Can the Euro MP`s live with there consciences trying to belittle the Irish voters? :suspect:

African republics are stereotypically governed by paranoid, corrupt incompetents and Mugabe is certainly living up to that! He's going to win the run-off by hook or by crook and I can't see him being allowed to remain for much longer.

Of course he'll blame Gordon Brown for the mess Zimbabwe is in, which proves how nuts he is, as Brown couldn't organise a nun shoot in a nunnery!

The opposition have asked the UN and the African Union to intervene in order to prevent "genocide"

Story here

Never going to happen. The UN is not interested unless they step outside their boarders.